The Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO) is a nonpartisan, nationwide, nonprofit organization of public officials who head departments of elementary and secondary education in the states, the District of Columbia, the Department of Defense Education Activity, and five U.S. extra-state jurisdictions. CCSSO provides leadership, advocacy, and technical assistance on major educational issues. CCSSO seeks member consensus on major educational issues and expresses their views to civic and professional organizations, federal agencies, Congress, and the public.
CCSSO is seeking a full-time Program Associate to support the Member Services and Outreach team. The Program Associate will work on a team to support cross state learning among a select group of states and districts tackling problems of practice they are experiencing with the integration of implementing the Common Core State Standards and educator effectiveness systems. The Program Associate will be responsible for administrative and logistical support for this project as well as programmatic functions.
The Program Associate will report to the project lead on the cross state learning collaborative and collaborate closely with the entire Member Services and Outreach team, the Common Core implementation team and the educator effectiveness team. This position offers growth potential for the right candidate and requires travel.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Be an essential member of the project team as they support in state chiefs and their leadership teams in:
- Implementing high quality teacher evaluation systems;
- Incorporating CCSS instructional expectations into teacher evaluation process;
- Creating and utilizing resources aligned to CCSS; and
- Ensuring students receive instruction and take assessments aligned to CCSS.
- Participate in and take notes at meetings of states and districts within the cross state learning collaborative and other meetings hosted by member services as requested
- Track follow up from meetings for 30/60/90 day plans and ensure CCSSO is meeting the needs of states in implementing plans.
- Take high-level notes during meetings, conference calls, and webinars and develop meeting summaries.
- Generate summary reports of meetings for distribution to members of the CCSSO leadership team.
- Create, maintain, and update contacts and member databases.
- Manage the technical side of hosting webinars and virtual meetings.
- Support meetings, conference calls, and webinars for the cross state learning collaborative and other programmatic areas within member services as requested. Duties include scheduling, inviting guests/speakers, sending reminders, drafting agendas, preparing meeting materials (such as making copies and assembling folders), coordinating logistics (such as liaison with internal meetings/travel staff and with hotel), ordering and setting up/tearing down of catering, booking meeting rooms, hosting meetings, and providing meeting follow-up.
- Process expense reimbursements for meeting participants, coordinate travel when needed, and order supplies.
- Generally anticipate needs and suggest solutions.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Energetic, assertive, team-oriented attitude.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative, manage time, implement competing priorities, and work well under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Professional verbal and written communication skills with staff, members, and outside contacts at all levels.
- Exceptionally detail-oriented. Excellent writing and proofreading skills.
- Comfortable learning and using new technology hardware and software.
- Customer-service orientation.
- Highly adaptable and ability to adjust plans as needed.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree required, preferred in public policy, education or related field
- Interest in working with K-12 educational issues and foundational knowledge of education issues. Knowledge of Common Core State Standards and teacher evaluations and instructional support preferred.
- Expert user of Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Experience using social networking and other collaboration technologies to support distributed work teams preferable
This is a full-time exempt position with an annual salary commensurate with experience, and excellent fringe benefits.
CCSSO is an equal opportunity employer
How to apply
One Massachusetts Ave., Washington, DC, 20001, US