The mission of Techbridge, an award-winning nonprofit with a proven, data-driven model, is to empower girls to realize their dreams through science, technology, and engineering. Our innovative after-school and summer programs inspire 5th through 12th grade girls from underserved communities to change the world, providing girls with hands-on projects and career exploration through our curriculum, role models, and field trips. Techbridge girls build confidence, problem-solving skills, perseverance, and public speaking abilities. Building on 14 years of experience, Techbridge after-school programs have served over 5,000 girls across six school districts.
Techbridge’s holistic approach gives girls a strong support network that includes their peers, teachers, families, and role models. Through its professional development efforts, Techbridge has reached over 15,000 adults through trainings and resources for role models, educators and families, and plans to reach thousands more in the Bay Area and nationwide. By drawing upon best practices for informal STEM learning, Techbridge helps build the capacity of organizations to lead STEM activities effectively with youth. Techbridge partners with school districts in San Francisco, San Jose, and Oakland and has a national reach through partnerships with Girl Scouts, YMCA, and other youth-serving non-profit organizations.
In 2012, Techbridge received Silicon Valley Education Foundation’s national award for innovations in science education and the East Bay Innovation Award in 2014.
Position Overview: Techbridge is seeking a passionate and dedicated Professional Development (“PD”) Coordinator who will manage and support various professional development and technical assistance projects, working closely with external partners to provide training and coaching on best practices in teaching STEM. The PD Coordinator will work with partners such as after-school staff from San Francisco Unified and Oakland Unified School Districts, STEM professionals who volunteer as role models, and youth-serving organizations such as the Boys & Girls Clubs. Reporting to the Program Manager, the PD Coordinator will help design and implement trainings and will coach partners one-on-one.
• Training: The PD Coordinator’s main role is to provide training and technical assistance for partner organizations who lead informal STEM programs with youth. The PD Coordinator will work with the Techbridge Professional Development team to design and execute trainings on how to facilitate STEM activities using the Techbridge curriculum. Training content focuses on best practices in teaching and facilitating STEM, including inquiry-based experiences, strategies for engaging youth, and equity practices.
• Coaching: Professional development projects may include site-based coaching that complements group trainings. The PD Coordinator will work with each partner organization to support goal-setting around STEM programming and provide individualized feedback on their STEM facilitation skills.
• Project Management: The PD Coordinator will support the development, implementation, and evaluation of professional development initiatives. This includes working with evaluators, providing input on instruments and assessments, and using data to incorporate feedback into improving program design.
• Research and Development: Under the guidance of the Program Manager, the PD Coordinator will develop materials and resources including trainings, written materials, and online tools for diverse clients that support introduction to and implementation of research-supported best practices.
• Reporting: The PD Coordinator will help write clear, concise reports, and present findings tailored to the needs of specific partners and funders.
• Other projects: As Techbridge’s professional development opportunities grow, other opportunities may arise to support capacity-building of partners in STEM.
• Minimum of 3 years of facilitating adult programming, preferably in a role using technology or science skills in informal education settings
• Excellent, dynamic presentation, training & facilitation skills; experience designing and delivering trainings using interactive approach
• Experience with coaching and/or mentoring; knowledge of adult learning principles
• Excellent organizational and time management skills. Strong record of follow-through on assigned tasks to ensure successful outcomes
• Superior communication skills (both written and verbal) and relationship-building skills. Demonstrated track record of successfully working with partners.
• Knowledge of and interest in equity issues affecting women and people of color in science and engineering
• Demonstrated knowledge of how to effectively work with low-income youth and underrepresented groups
• Must be resourceful, self-motivated, creative, flexible, and a self-starter
• Must possess a valid Driver’s License with clean DMV record; proof of insurance and reliable transportation
• Ability to travel locally and occasionally nationally
• Bachelor’s degree required (science, engineering, social work and/or education field highly desired)
This is a full-time position; health, vacation, retirement and other benefits offered. Techbridge offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills.
We value a diverse workforce: People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Start Date: This position will start in July 2014 and will be open until filled. This role will be based out of Techbridge’s Oakland office.
Please compose a cover letter that describes your commitment to the mission of Techbridge and how your experience fits the qualifications of the position. Please email cover letter and resume with the subject “Professional Development Coordinator” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job requires a fingerprint and background check.
We are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of race, sex, age, marital status, color, national origin, religion, disability, veteran's status, or sexual orientation.
Professional Development Team
7700 Edgewater Drive, Suite 519
Oakland, California 94621