Principal, Citizens of the World Crown Heights
The mission of Citizens of the World Charter Schools New York (CWC NY) is to provide a socioeconomically, culturally and racially diverse community of students with an intellectually challenging, experiential learning environment that develops each student's confidence, potential, and individual responsibility as a citizen of the world. We are entering our second year of operation and have two schools, one in Williamsburg (CSD 14) and one school in Crown Heights (CSD 17). In the fall, both schools will enroll students in grades K-2.
We work with our partners at Citizens of the World Charter Schools (CWC Schools), whose mission is to provide socioeconomically, culturally, and racially diverse communities with schools that:
- Prepare students to become citizens of the world in an ever-changing future.
- Promote academic rigor and experiential learning to support and develop children's natural intellectual
- Embrace a constructivist, project-based learning approach.
- Develop each child's potential to live as a learner, both in school and out.
- Reflect, welcome and celebrate the community's diversity.
- Strengthen the bonds among members of the school community and beyond.
The Principal of Citizens of the World Crown Heights is a visionary instructional leader who will create an engaging, joyful, academically rigorous school built on our fundamentals of academic excellence, community, and diversity. S/he will have a sophisticated understanding of and experience with a constructivist approach, balanced-literacy, multiple intelligence theory, backward design, the creation of project-based curriculum, and building and/or working in diverse communities.
The Principal will create and maintain a school culture that challenges and motivates our diverse students, teachers, and families to achieve academic excellence, develop as people, and positively impact the communities in which they live. S/he will have a commitment to the educational philosophy of our school that includes a constructivist approach, project-based learning, and the overall culture of our organization.
Academics and Instruction
Guides instructional staff to improve teaching and learning by providing teacher support and designing professional development. Ensures that all students are learning and that there are no gaps in student achievement among subgroups.
- Provides instructional leadership, coaching, and support to teachers who are working with a diverse student body.
- Ensures the use of a wide array of assessments that, together, reflect the educational philosophy of CWC Schools that also prepare students to excel on standardized measures.
- Uses multiple sources of data to develop a plan for the ongoing improvement of student achievement.
Defines and builds a transformative school culture consistent with CWC NY's principles; manages student discipline; and promotes a social emotional learning and assessment as part of the school's culture.
Recruits, hires, manages, and develops the school's leadership, instructional team, operational, and support staff.
- Builds a culture of relentless self-improvement and adaptive leadership among the entire school.
- Recruits and hires mission aligned, qualified instructional and operational staff.
- Manages the staff performance review and compensation review processes.
- Addresses staff concerns urgently and with mission-aligned, student-focused responses.
- Ensures on-going design and implementation of staff professional development
Establishes and maintains strong relationships with teachers, students, parents, community members, and the staff at of the CWC Schools.
• Ensures that all members of the school community are engaged and valued.
• Communicates the school's vision and goals in a way that ensures understanding and commitment from a racially, culturally, and socioeconomically diverse community of parents, students, faculty, staff,and board members.
• Oversees the development and implementation of varied forms of communication with families.
• Maintains positive relationships with the New York Department of Education, SUNY Charter Schools Institute, and charter organizations, serving as an active leader in the charter communitylearning from others and sharing CWC School's best practices.
Operations, Finances, and Compliance
Ensures compliant, effective, and efficient school-based operations that support an academically high- performing school environment.
- Manages and supports school operations staff.
- Reports on activities, organizational development progress, and student achievement to the school's board, CWC Schools, SUNY Charter Schools Institute, and the NYC Department of Education.
- Works with the Executive Director to draft and monitor the school's budget and ensure daily financial and business activities are compliant with the school's fiscal policies.
- Ensures school alignment and/or progress toward alignment with organizational goals for diversity.
Staff and Reporting Relationships
The Principal shall formally report to the Executive Director. S/he will work closely with other stakeholders, including the school's board of trustees; CWC Schools; SUNY Charter Schools Institute; NYC Department of Education.
Candidates must have:
- A clear record of elevating student achievement in an urban classroom for at least two years, with a strong understanding of pedagogy that drives results or of exceptional leadership working with young people in urban communities.
- Master's degree or PhD in education
- At least 5 years of relevant teaching experience, with demonstrated student results
- New York state educational leadership or building leader credential preferred
The Principal must:
- Have an entrepreneurial spirit and be capable of managing many complex tasks with competing priorities.
- Possess strong leadership and team management skills.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Be organized and self-managed, be able to handle many responsibilities simultaneously.
- Have excellent problem-solving skills.
- Be committed to building a community of collaboration with a diverse group of stakeholders.
- A self-aware leader who knows how to treat all members of the school's community with respect, appraises accurately his or her strengths and weaknesses, and is perceptive about how he or she is regarded.
- Be dependable and have excellent follow-through.
- Be aligned with the education philosophy and the school's mission.
- A strong personal commitment to ongoing learning and growth.
- An effective and persuasive communicator, orally and in writing.
CWC NY offers competitive salaries commensurate with experience, and a comprehensive benefits package. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and, as a school serving a diverse group of students, we work to reflect this diversity in our staff as well.
How to apply
Interested applicants may apply by submitting a cover letter and resume email@example.com(subject line: Principal).
791 Empire Blvd, Brooklyn, NY, 11213, US