The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) advances human well-being, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to help shape policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. CIFOR is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, with offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
CIFOR is looking for a Post Doc Fellow for REDD+ policies and Climate Change
In 2009, CIFOR started a multi-donor funded Global Comparative Study on REDD+ (GCS REDD+) in 13 countries. This GCS REDD+ is a 6-year global comparative research project on first and second-generation REDD+ activities in selected countries across Asia, Africa and Latin America. The project is designed in several modules, i.e., national initiatives around policy processes and strategies (Module 1), sub-national demonstration activities, monitoring and reference levels, carbon management at the landscape level (incl. adaptation and mitigation synergies and multi-level governance) and knowledge sharing. The overall goal of the project is to provide REDD+ policy makers and practitioner communities with the information, analysis and tools they need to ensure effective and cost-efficient reduction of carbon emissions with equitable impacts and co-benefits such as poverty alleviation and biodiversity conservation – the ‘3E+’ criteria.
The aim of the research is to identify how potential barriers and constraints in national REDD+ policy arenas can be addressed through policy design and implementation. The project will use comparative research to analyze the country specific circumstances and factors that explain varying 3E outcomes from national strategies.
The Post Doc Fellow’s research will contribute to the development of policy-relevant conclusions on institutional design for specific country and regional contexts. The Post Doc Fellow’s work will be integrated and supported by the GCS REDD+ Module 1 on national REDD+ strategies component and the Work Package 5 of EC benefit sharing project, and will be part of CIFOR’s Forests and Environment Research Team. The Post Doc Fellow will be responsible to the Regional Office Director and under the scientific supervision of the Research Director.
Duties and responsibilities
- Contribute to research on performance measurement of policies and measures relevant to REDD+.
- Contribute to work on selected international underlying drivers of deforestation and forest degradation and its implication for national REDD+ efforts.
- Conduct Module 1 core activities such as discourse (including the Module 1 media-based analysis) and policy network analysis.
- Analyze global, regional and national climate policies and processes in the context of REDD+ and adaptation.
- Provide information, tools and guidance for the on-going FIP process in Burkina Faso
- Identify and analyze potential lessons for REDD+ in dry forests.
- Potentially, expand Module 1 research to cover neighboring countries such as Ghana.
- Contribute to the development and maintenance of partnerships.
- Supervise and mentor junior researchers and consultants.
- In addition, the Post Doc Fellow will be expected to represent CIFOR when appropriate and requested, and to contribute to CIFOR’s fund-raising efforts.
- Publish in peer-reviewed journals.
Education, experience and technical skills
- A PhD in the social sciences, preferably in political sciences, with a background in forests and/or environmental governance, institutional analysis, financial mechanisms, climate change mitigation and adaptation, and comparative analysis.
- Knowledge of REDD+, governance and political economy of land use and deforestation.
- Experience in supervision of junior scientists or doctoral students.
- Experience in project management and partner liaison.
- Fluency in French and English is required. Fluency in other languages used in countries where CIFOR works would be an advantage (e.g., Spanish, Portuguese, Indonesian, Kiswahili, Vietnamese).
Personal attributes and competencies
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, experienced in working with multicultural and multidisciplinary research teams.
- Have initiative and capable of working independently as well as in a team environments.
- Competency in personal organisation, priority setting and managing multiple tasks.
- Values the sharing of information and continuous improvement in a cooperative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning.
Terms and conditions
- Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience.
- The appointment will be for a period of 2 (two) years with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
- The duty station will be in Burkina Faso.
CIFOR is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
- The application deadline is 5 October 2013.
- We will acknowledge all applications, but we will contact only short-listed candidates.
Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees, to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR email@example.com
Human Resources Department, CIFOR