Summary of the position:
The Case Manager is a member of a team of social service professionals providing critical services in a family shelter environment. The Case Manager for Nazareth House LES (3 days) and Nazareth House Harlem (2 days) ; works with the residents providing intensive case management, advocacy and self-sufficiency building. Supporting families in employment, benefits and resource building, case manager interaction has the end goal of enabling families to return to stable, permanent housing. In support of this, the Case Manager maintains detailed case files (both paper and digital) including intake, assessments, DHS reporting, unit inspections and related activities. The Case Manager provides effective client engagement and has a sound working understanding of social services and programs available for family strengthening throughout New York including HRA, health, employment and financial literacy and will work to expand this base for use with clients. The position includes Saturday or Sunday hours which is negotiable.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
The Case Manager will support families in becoming more self-sufficient and stably housed through successful implementation of the following:
Emergency Family Shelter:
- Manage intake, assessment, independent living plans and long term stability plan for families in shelter housing
- Assist in the move-in/move-out process for families in shelter housing
- Coordinate services with Housing Specialist and other staff and consultants
- Maintain up to date and accurate case records. Fully document all services in on-line database as well as case files, keeping ILPs up-to-date.
N.B. DHS CARES is current system requirement for staff skill sets – training is available, computer agility a must!
- Monitor and coordinate public assistance engagements with shelter residents
- Make referrals for specialized services
- Assist in the weekly inspection of shelter units for cleanliness, safety and maintenance
- Assist in facilitation of family advancement services, including supervision of program aides, guest speakers or volunteer led activities when applicable
- Provide SUNDAY on-site services for shelter families in LES weekly and share non-traditional holidays and adjust holidays to ensure coverage as needed
- Share emergency on-call hours with other organizational staff
- Represent agency at meetings as necessary and other tasks as assigned
- Respond to emergency situations at the facility
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of four years experience in case work and/or working with homeless families in Tier II settings
- Computer competence and agility ; Preference given to those with CARES or other case management system experience
- Willingness to engage in ongoing professional development
- Experience and knowledge in homeless services sector
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish required
- Self starter with initiative
- Collaborative and team supporter
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented
- Able to manage difficult situations and make interventions and seek outside assistance as needed
- Computer agility with knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook and general data base technologies. Familiarity with CARES system and AWARDS Foothold a plus and ability to learn and hone these skills critical
- Ability to work with highly stressed population without personalizing other’s stress
- Ability to work with volunteer groups and coordinate multiple activities
- Strong sense of professionalism, healthy boundaries and personal limits
- Ability to identify and implement best case management practices for the agency
Reports to: Director of Shelter Services
Evaluation and Assessment
30 day review
- 90 day review
- Annual review
- A training plan will be designed by Supervisor for implementation upon starting employment
Once the employee is a full-time, permanent hire, the organization offers medical and dental insurance, of which the agency contributes 85% currently. Additional family members are at the expense of the employee. The agency also offers paid vacation, medical Flex Spending plan, 403-B; sick leave, and personal days. Nazareth Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in hiring on the basis of: age, race, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status or religious affiliation.
Due to the sensitive nature of our work, persons must disclose any past or current legal problems which led to or may yet result in incarceration or probation for any criminal felonies, domestic violence, child abuse, fraud or financial misappropriation.
The agency reserves the right to conduct a background check on all applicants.
How to apply
How to apply
We are looking for high achieving team members that are a good fit for our organization. The process below is designed to help us, and each candidate, assess the potential value of working with Nazareth Housing in this position.
Please submit the following via email only to: firstname.lastname@example.org ; put Case Manager in the subject line.
- A cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how you see your self contributing to our mission.
- A current resume or CV
- Three references with email addresses. This expedites the assessment process for those who will be offered an interview. References will receive and email reference form to complete.
- Qualifying candidates will receive an initial phone interview.
- Qualifying and screened applicants will receive a personal interview with the Director of Shelter Services followed by an interview with the Executive Director.
- Those who reach the interview stage will be asked to complete a Big 5 assessment on line prior to the interview.
- Finalists will be asked to spend two hours working with the Director of Shelter Services to measure work product quality and ability.
Thorpe Family Residence/Nazareth Housing is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes applications from all candidates without regard to race, ethnicity, gender, language or nation of origin, sexual orientation, age or carrier status.
519 East 11th Street, New York, NY, 10009, US