Part-time Elementary School Social Worker Position- Starting Immediately (Contractor)
Brooklyn Prospect Charter School, a K-12 program in its fifth year of operation, is seeking a School Social Worker to start immediately at its Elementary School location. The School Social Worker will be responsible for providing mandated counseling to students with IEPs and will also provide services to at-risk students. S/he will work in collaboration with classroom teachers and coordinators to establish a positive, safe, and caring school culture and community. Ideal candidates would have school social work experience, be New York State certified, and are looking to be a collaborative member of a highly professionalized learning community.
Candidates must firmly believe in Brooklyn Prospect's mission and core values:
Serving kindergarten through twelfth grade, Brooklyn Prospect pairs students with excellent teachers in a college preparatory environment using the International Baccalaureate program. We prepare students to become global citizens and help them to develop the love of learning that provides the foundation for lifelong personal and academic success.
Brooklyn Prospect is committed to:
- Teaching the skills and habits of mind necessary for success in the global community
- Recruiting, training and retaining excellent teachers
- Reflecting the diversity of Brooklyn's neighborhoods
- Support the social-emotional growth of students with special needs, English Language Learners, and at-risk students
- Provide counseling services as mandated on student IEPs
- Provide counseling services to at-risk students with parent consent
- Collaborate with teachers and coordinators to plan and create a safe and nurturing school culture and community
- Provide professional development for teachers and school staff regarding social-emotional development
- Maintain confidentiality with student information and records
- Provide mental health, social service, and wellness resources for families
- Actively participate in Child Study Team referral meetings, Response to Intervention meetings, and CSE meetings
- Communicate openly with families
- Collaboratively plan social-emotional instruction with Classroom Co-Teachers to meet the needs of the diverse learners in the class
- Use data from a variety of sources to determine when a student is in need of intervention
- Actively participate in a professional learning community, including professional literature circles, peer coaching, reflection meetings, planning meetings, data meetings, and staff meetings
- Actively participate in the school's decision making process
- Regularly communicate with families, students, and community partners through phone, email, or face-to-face conversation
- Maintain positive relationships with students and staff
- Create a positive and safe classroom culture and community
- New York State Certification in Social Work or Counseling
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree preferred
- Strong philosophical alignment to Brooklyn Prospect's mission and vision
- Previous experience working with children in an urban community
- Commitment to diverse learning environments
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with teachers, and coordinators
- Willingness to find resources in the community for families
- Ability to collaborate with Student Support Services team members and related service providers to ensure that all mandated services are being provided in accordance to IEPs
- Reflective practitioner in a state of constant professional growth and a willingness to share their craft with others
- Commitment to integrating social emotional curriculum into the culture of the school and units of study and teacher's daily lesson plans
- Experience working with children with special needs in ICT classrooms preferred
- Commitment and knowledge of experiential and inquiry-based teaching and learning
This is an independent contractor position- hourly compensation will be commensurate with experience.
How to apply
To Apply: Interested candidates should apply at http://www.brooklynprospect.org/employment/applynow and include a resume and cover letter, including how you learned about the position, and the position for which you are applying. Applications will be reviewed as received.
Please note that due to the high volume of applications, we will only be able to notify those who meet our selection criteria.
Brooklyn Prospect is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds.
80 Willoughby St, Brooklyn, NY, 11201, US