Position Title: Austin Community Counselor (part-time)
Reports to: Director of Counseling
Rape Victim Advocates (RVA) is an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to the healing and empowerment of sexual assault survivors through non-judgmental crisis intervention counseling, individual and group counseling, and medical and legal advocacy in the greater Chicago metropolitan area. RVA provides public education and institutional advocacy in order to improve the treatment of sexual assault survivors and to effect positive change in policies and public attitudes toward sexual assault.
General Role Description
The Counselor is an exempt position. Counselor will be responsible for providing individual, couples and family counseling as well as facilitating support groups for sexual assault victims/survivors and their significant others at RVA’s Austin Community Satellite Office for 20 hours per week.
- Provide individual, couples and family counseling, and support groups for adolescent and adult victims/survivors of sexual violence and their significant others.
- Maintain a caseload of counseling clients appropriate to level of employment and program needs.
- Assess/screen individuals to determine appropriate level of intervention and services.
- Promptly respond to requests for counseling services and maintain intake and referral records.
- Participate in regular supervision, consultation, program, and staff meetings.
- Develop and maintain a network of community members and service providers.
- Identify and participate in community events, forums, and meetings as necessary to maintain the agency’s awareness of issues impacting residents and the visibility of the agency’s services.
- Collaborate with staff and interns from the Education & Training, Advocacy, and Counseling Programs in order enhance the effectiveness of the agency’s services.
- Maintain accurate records and statistics for intake, counseling, non-client crisis intervention, information/referral, and other services/activities.
- Provide counseling services both at the Austin office, as well as off-site or at agencies that have agreed to provide counseling space for the agency.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in a social work, counseling or psychology required (LCSW or LCPC preferred).
- Minimum of two years experience in providing counseling services is required, including support groups.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent counseling and client assessment skills
- Excellent documentation and organizational skills
- Positive attitude and pro-active approach to problem solving a must
- Written and oral fluency in English/Spanish preferred
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as with a team
- Previous experience addressing sexual violence/gender-based violence required
- Previous experience working with diverse populations required
- Familiarity with the Austin community and surrounding neighborhoods strongly preferred
- Prior completion of a minimum of 40-hour sexual assault training strongly preferred; completion of a minimum of 40-hour sexual assault training within 90 days of hire is required.
- Persons of color, LGBTQ people are encouraged to apply. RVA is an equal opportunity employer.
How to apply
Please send your cover letter and resume by fax or e-mail to the following by December 27:
LaShanda Nalls, LCPC
Director of Counseling
Rape Victim Advocates
Fax # 312-443-9602
Please note that resumes received without cover letters will not be considered.
No phone calls, please.
Fax # 312-443-9602
4909 W. Division Street, Chicago, IL, US