Job Description --The Outreach and Policy Coordinator will work to develop and implement strategies that will lead to long-term involvement of community institutions, organizations and individuals in literacy and (other issue-based) programs and evaluation activities. They will assume general management for identified 211 Ci activities and associated projects including:
- Community outreach and coordination of community meetings and events
- Management and support of the "Reading is for Life" Campaign and other issue-based campaigns
- Grant writing and reporting
- Collaboration with local/regional coalitions and partnerships that focus on literacy and Common Core Content Standards, and other related issues.
- Work as team member with 211 staff and other community partners to meet program goals
- Conduct outreach in target neighborhoods, schools, and CBOs
- Conduct one-on-one meetings with community leaders, community partners, local and state elected officials parents to build support for 211 Ci initiatives
- Organize community and literacy events
- Plan and coordinate community meetings as determined necessary
- Represent 211 Ci in meetings and coalitions
- Serve as Coordinator/Planner for Reading is for Life coalition by coordinating activities such as:
- Conduct literature/resource reviews to identify best practices in community literacy programs and other community issues
- Conduct community literacy and the Common Core Content Standards planning activities
- Support coalition in developing policies related to literacy and the Common Core Content Standards
- Collaborate with other local, states and national organizations focusing on literacy and the Common Core Content Standards
- Represent 211 through professional associations locally, statewide and nationally
- Assist coalition members in conducting annual strategic planning and guide coalition to develop a comprehensive action plan based on needs-assessment and strategic planning
- Continuously evaluate coalition effectiveness and coalition strategic plan
- Support development and maintenance of content for the 211 Ci website
This position is for a self-starter who learns quickly, can translate ideas into action, has the ability to conceptualize and plan a project from beginning to end, learns independently, can work comfortable in different settings with all kinds of people including people from the neighborhoods of Newark to foundations and city-hall. This person needs a diverse communication skill set, the ability to analyze and respond to various kinds of professional and social interactions.
They will have relevant experience in public policy, education, community outreach, coalition building and minimum of a bachelor's degree and 2 years of appropriate experience in program management or coordination at a community-based organization. Candidates with relevant work experience will also be considered in lieu of educational requirements.
- At least 2 years of experience with community education programs, outreach, and organizing
- Proven ability to work independently
- Community Engagement skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and speaking)
- Knowledge of the research process
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office and general computer skills
- Experience with web-site management
This position is currently part-time. As funds become it available it will become full-time.
Only serious and suitable inquiries are requested. Please send cover-letters, resumes and a writing sample to email@example.com. Emails should include Outreach & Policy Coordinator in the subject line.
How to apply
Please send cover-letters, resumes and a writing sample firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails should include Outreach & Policy Coordinator in the subject line.
211 Halsey Street, #2, Newark, NJ, 07102, US