Position Summary: Connolly Ranch Education Center seeks a passionate and energetic part-time Early Childhood Educator for our outdoor, nature-based preschool programs for children ages 2-6. The ideal candidate will have a background that includes prior experience in preschool teaching, farm animals, organic gardening and developing activities that engage young children in innovative and meaningful experiences in nature.
Program Description: Connolly Ranch Education Center is a non-profit, environmental education farm located in Napa, CA. At Connolly Ranch, kids and families learn about farm life, the role of farm animals, ecology and sustainability, and an appreciation for nature. We teach organic gardening, the sources and benefits of healthy foods and an understanding of how nature works to sustain us. The 12 acre ranch is located just west of downtown Napa.
Connolly Ranch provides environmental education programs for over 5,000 children and adults each year through field trips, classes and camps. Preschool teachers are part of a team that help us meet our mission of inspiring life-long connections with nature through education, play and hands-on exploration in a working farm environment. We supports the whole child's development while also preparing children for school. This is a part-time, non-benefitted position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Design, develop and teach nature-based, developmentally appropriate programming in conjunction with other members of the teaching team.
• Ensure the physical and emotional health, safety, and welfare of all students.
• Create a welcoming family environment and effectively communicate with parents and caregivers about their children specifically and the program in general.
• Assist the Preschool Program Director in assessing and tracking the development of individual children, assessing needs, and planning based on those needs.
• Train and supervise support staff in partnership with the Preschool Program Director.
• Design and set up varied and seasonal outdoor learning spaces and environments.
• Plan for equipment and supply needs with other Preschool staff.
• Manage daily routines including setup, cleanup and basic administrative duties.
• Participate in staff meetings and special events as appropriate to ensure connection with the rest of the staff and the community.
• Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
• 12 or more units in Early Childhood Education or related field.
• 2 or more years experience teaching children ages 2-6 in a child-centered, developmentally appropriate program.
• Bilingual in Spanish a plus
• Active interest in the natural world and a commitment to its use as a central and daily learning and play environment.
• Aptitude/comfort with learning basic natural history/ecology
• Personal commitment to an eco-friendly, green and sustainable lifestyle
• Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal skills; ability to be a creative and flexible team player
• Able to speak clearly, positively, and effectively with both children and families.
• Able to work both collaboratively and independently to creatively problem solve.
• Strong organizational, time-management, and multi-tasking abilities.
• Current certification in First Aid and CPR, or willingness to pursue certification.
• Must pass complete background check.
• Ability to perform tasks requiring physical exertion indoors and outdoors, in all weather conditions, and on difficult and varied terrain while supervising young children.
• Ability to stand, stoop, bend, kneel, pull, push, sit without back support, and lift and carry up to 50 pounds occasionally and 10-35 pounds frequently.
Reports to: Preschool Program Director and Executive Director
Compensation: $12-15 per hour based on experience
Approximate Hours: Mon-Thurs mornings 8:30 AM--2 PM, additional hours available on Saturdays and Wednesday afternoons.
Start Date: available now
How to apply
Application Procedure: email resume, cover letter and names and contact information for three references to:
Jennifer Fotherby, Executive Director
Application Deadline: until position is filled
3141 Browns Valley Rd, Napa, CA, 94558, US