Outdoor Education Leaders are responsible to the YMCA Director of Outdoor Education. The primary responsibility of an instructor is to work with participants in Takodah Outdoor Education programs, emphasizing community teambuilding, ropes course, natural history, environmental education, and other curriculum areas. Instructors at Camp Takodah work very hard. Work covers both weekdays and weekends. Our days can be long (7:00 a.m. to 9:00p.m, when working the residential program) and the instructor job demands a great deal of energy and commitment to the program. Instructors on some occasions do prep work for programs outside of regular work hours and are expected to take part in meetings to prepare for any upcoming program.
We are committed to adapting our program to meet the needs of the children who attend. In addition, we live and work in a community setting involving shared housing, shared meals, and often, shared recreational activities. We set high standards for instructors both for performance and for community relations. All employees participate regularly in tasks that support our programs including: housekeeping, kitchen, facility upkeep and maintenance, office work, and other behind-the-scenes activities. Once a program is complete it is the team that supports clean up and sanitization of cabins, bathrooms and any other facilities used. Our groups also have a commitment to leave our facilities as they found them at the end of any program.
Outdoor Education Instructor Qualifications:
* Sincere interest in working with young people in a hard working and supportive, energized community of educators: team player, team leader and team builder
* 18 or older, over 21 preferred
* First aid training/CPR preferred
* American Red Cross Lifeguard preferred
* Strong Communication skills
* Valid driver's license and a clean driving record.
* Demonstrated experience teaching, preferably in a residential outdoor education or camp environment
* Ability to lead day hikes of up to 8 miles, and other outdoor activities on rugged, steep trails
* Experience with teambuilding and high ropes course curriculum preferred
* Understanding of basic natural history and environmental education concepts
* Ability to relate to individuals and groups in a warm, positive manner
* Willingness to take on varied tasks that support the program
About Us: The Cheshire YMCA Camp Takodah’s history goes back over 95 years. Our programs serve over 750 youth across the Spring and Fall season each year. We provide quality programming, which develops positive values that enrich the spirit, mind and body. Lead by our dedicated staff, participants in Takodah Outdoor programs are given the unique opportunity to acquire outdoor skills, discover personal values, increase their self-esteem, develop compassion for others, and build group cooperation.
Compensation: Room, Board while program is in session, Paid Staff training. Wages will be dependent upon experience and work available.
Program Instructor Average Wage:
$50.00 per full day (9am to 5pm).
$70.00 per residential (overnight – not supervising cabins)
$90.00 per residential (overnight – supervised cabins)
$300 to 350/week – for a commitment to full week employment day or residential.
Seasons: SPRING: mid April - mid June * FALL: mid August - mid October
*Extended employment opportunities are available beyond our OE seasons to work for our residential summer Camp or as a Takodah Adventure Trip leader.
55 Fitzwilliam Road
Richmond, New Hampshire 03470