MOFGA has an immediate job opening for an Organic Marketing and Business Coordinator in the office in Unity. Primary responsibilities include coordination of MOFGA’s agricultural marketing work with a focus on assisting certified organic farms to develop business planning and marketing skills and increase the capacity to find and develop market opportunities. A detailed job description follows. If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references to MOFGA, PO Box 170, Unity, ME 04988. The position will remain open until we find the appropriate candidate.
Title: Organic Marketing & Business Coordinator
Primary Responsibilities: To coordinate MOFGA’s agricultural marketing work with a focus on assisting certified organic farms to develop business planning and marketing skills and increase the capacity to find and develop market opportunities. To enhance for consumers and retailers the recognition and value of the “MOFGA Certified Organic” label.
Supervisor: Agricultural Services Director
Work Week: Monday through Friday – 40 hours.
Additional Work Hours: Evening and weekend meetings and work as needed. Regular hours of operation during the Common Ground Country Fair weekend.
Position: Salaried, Federal Fair Labor Standards Act Exempt. The employee is not eligible for overtime payment.
Required Abilities and Knowledge:
- Degree in Sustainable Agriculture, Economics, Marketing or related field of study
- Excellent administrative skills, including an ability to manage personnel and volunteers
- Ability to work creatively and to take the initiative to find creative solutions
- Experience with business planning, management and agricultural marketing
- Experience with computer systems including word processing, databases, spreadsheets, online form building and website maintenance
- Familiarity with organic marketing and business development with an understanding of the opportunities and challenges faced by Maine producers
- Proven project management skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with staff, volunteers and the public
- Organic farming experience desirable
- Provide business and marketing support to Certified Organic Farmers in Maine
- Support Maine’s direct market networks (e.g. CSAs, Farmers’ Markets) and assist in monitoring direct marketing on MOFGA websites
- Co-coordinate MOFGA’s Farm Beginnings course
- Participate in development of regular organic market price reports
- Provide support and training in farm business management and marketing skills to MOFGA Journeypersons, MOFGA members, and farmers
- Work with other MOFGA staff members to identify and provide for educational development
- Collaborate with other groups (non-profits, Maine Department of Agriculture, University research and extension)
- Carry out all of the responsibilities listed above in accordance with the mission statement, goals, and philosophy of the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association
MOFGA’s success is dependent upon the collaborative spirit among its staff members and volunteers. Employees are expected to be ready and willing to assist colleagues in all program areas when directed to do so by their supervisors.
PO Box 170, Unity, ME 04988