Wildcat is a transfer high school, serving the needs of disenfranchised youth who have either dropped out of school or who are at risk of dropping out of school. Wildcat is a highly collaborative environment where teachers and staff work together to create an atmosphere in which students can flourish. Wildcat is looking for an enthusiastic, forward thinking NYSED certified Special Ed Teacher.
The specific roles are:
- Provide classroom instruction,
- Provide teacher support for special education students in general education classes,
- Write lesson plans and syllabus as per Common Core Standards,
- Supervise, encourage, counsel and evaluate students,
- Create an effective classroom environment,
- Refer students with behavioral/emotional issues to counselors,
- Participate in academic support activities across curricula,
- Use pertinent testing information to inform curriculum and assessments,
- Meet with parents/guardians during scheduled day and evening conferences and as necessary,
- Participate in staff development activities,
- Assist in any other activity in which the school participates,
- Motivate students to learn.
- NYSED certification in high school Special Education a must,
- Experience in teaching high school preferable,
- Demonstrated knowledge of curriculum and “best practice” pedagogy for struggling students,
- Demonstrated ability to work with students struggling with academic subjects, and
- Knowledge and ability to correlate curriculum with Common Core State Standards.
How to apply
Please indicate the job title, NYSED Special Ed Teacher in the subject line and e-mail resume and cover letter to EPeterman@jvlwildcat.org
17 Battery Place, 1st Floor, New York, NY, 10004, US