The Environmental Analyst (Staff Scientist) will work with partners in both RI and MA to develop and
refine a system of applicable environmental indicators and to adapt monitoring strategies to support
indicator reporting. He or she will help to facilitate needed synthesis and interpretation of data, to make
data available to support management decisions, and to characterize environmental condition trends
linked to ecological indicators.
The Environmental Analyst (Staff Scientist) will participate in the development of data driven analytical tools and assist in the assessment of the modeling tools available or under development for the Narragansett Bay watershed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
The Environmental Analyst (Staff Scientist) will accomplish this by:
•Keeping abreast of current science and research issues related to Narragansett Bay and estuaries in general
•Monitoring existing research projects and providing guidance on future and potential research projects
• Assisting in the coordination and tracking of federal, state, and local government activities and land use changes
impacting the Bay and its watershed in both RI and MA
•Analyzing existing data to be able to provide guidance and consultation on estuary environmental
•Preparing scientific reports and documents, and analyzing and evaluating technical and scientific reports developed by others
•Administering research and scientific grants
•Taking the lead on developing regular reports on indicators of Narragansett Bay health
•Tracking and managing implementation projects listed in the Comprehensive
Conservation and Management Plan (CCMP)
• Obtaining additional funds for research on estuary-related issues
• Acting as a liaison between the NBEP and partners in facilitating the implementation of the CCMP
• Ensuring NBEP partners have necessary information regarding policies, programs, data, and other information to assist in implementation of the CCMP
•Supporting local and regional committees concerned with estuary issues
• Providing expertise and assistance to state and federal agencies regarding habitat restoration related activities such as shoreline stabilization, wetland restoration, and nutrient management
• Compiling implementation progress reports and EPA review materials
• Preparing RFPs, grant applications and other documents; facilitating discussion, editing and writing, and other necessary tasks to support the implementation of the CCMP
• Serving as coordinator and project officer for NBEP technical projects and contracts; preparing RFP language, coordinating the review of proposals and the development of work plans, tracking ongoing contract work and facilitating the final review of projects
•Coordinating and collaborating with scientists working on projects in the Narragansett Bay Estuary.
•Providing technical assistance to help implement land use and environmental laws
•Serving as staff lead for the NBEP’s Science Advisory Committee. Includes identifying and prioritizing
research needs, setting up meetings, delivering minutes, managing grants, contributing to other activities on behalf of
the NBEP, and other duties as needed.
• Analyzing, researching, and interpreting WQ data for determination of current water quality status, long-term trends, and linkages to biological monitoring data and environmental indicators
•Overseeing graphing of data and all statistical analyses