Duties of the Nature Center Environmental Education Coordinator position from mid-April until mid-June includes: planning and leading nature explorations of salt-marsh ecology with school groups, helping prepare for summer programs and scheduling volunteers. Duties of this position after the school year ends, (from mid-June until late-September): planning and leading group tours by foot and canoe, scheduling and overseeing volunteers, and maintaining the center in addition to delivering public programs on salt-marsh ecology.
Qualifications and Essential Duties:
▪ Environmental Education experience with children and adults
▪ Knowledge of basic natural history and ecological concepts (salt marsh knowledge a plus)
▪ Experience planning lessons and group activities
▪ Excellent canoeing ability, with the ability to canoe under challenging weather conditions
▪ Ability to multitask
▪ Ability to manage and recruit adult and teenage volunteers
▪ CPR and First Aid certification
▪ Ability to work with minimal supervision;
▪ Friendly, high energy and good sense of humor
▪ Ability to work outdoors in challenging environmental conditions
▪ Retail experience a plus
▪ Other duties as assigned
▪ Ability to stand for extended periods of time
▪ Ability to lift a 75 pound canoe with another person, carry that canoe 30 feet and physical movement necessary for putting the canoe up on a rack
▪ Ability to canoe against the wind and current
▪ Ability to physically operate canoes, computer and other program equipment
This seasonal position begins mid-April and ends late-September. The approximately 30-hour work week consists of variable hours three to four days a week, including at least one weekend day and some evenings. Holiday work is required. Possibility of additional hours.
To apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include job ID# SMEE14 in the subject line of your email. We will begin reviewing applications immediately, and will be accepting applications until the position is filled. Questions about the position can be send to email@example.com.
Maine Audubon is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Any job offers are contingent on a successful criminal background check.