SAMISH INDIAN NATION POSITION DESCRIPTION
Title: Natural Resource Field Technician
Supervisor: Natural Resource Field Supervisor and Director
Salary: SIN Salary Scale Grade III ($11.61 - $15.56) FMLA Non-Exempt
Hours: Monday through Friday, with some weekend and evening work Duration: Based on Available Funding, Full-time Regular at completion of six month probationary period
The Natural Resource Technician will report to the Natural Resource Field Supervisor and Director and will work closely with staff on water quality, air quality, natural resource planning, invasive species control, and other natural resource issues as assigned. Primary activities will be water quality sampling, sediment and shellfish tissue sample collection for duration of a specific grant project cycle. A large percentage of time for this position will focus on invasive plant species mapping and control efforts.
- Coordinate and work with Natural Resource Director and other staff on Tribal Natural Resource issues.
- Be willing to work outdoors in inclement weather.
- Conduct field data collection in streams, salt water and lakes with primary work in outdoor environments.
- Data compilation analysis and report construction
- Calibrate and audit of field equipment.
- Initiate and maintain positive, respectful working relationships with the Environmental and Tribal staff to foster a team environment.
- Possess a cooperative attitude, a professional manner, and have the ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Work independently and accurately in an area of frequent interruptions and as part of a multi-tasked environment.
- Be proficient using Microsoft Office applications.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Environmental field experience (please list in resume)
- AA degree or higher in environmental field
- Good physical health for active field work
- Must possess a valid driver's license and be able to meet the minimum insurance requirements regarding driving record in order to utilize tribal vehicle.
- Must be willing to receive herbicide application license and be able or maintain valid licensure.
- Ability to communicate verbally and through written reports to a variety of stakeholders in the general population as well as the tribal community.
Database knowledge (Access, Excel)
Organized work habits which will assure timely and accurate submission of reports Team Player
Strong sense of curiosity and desire to learn new concepts
Samish Indian Nation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and actively encourages applications from all persons regardless of race, religion, gender, age, national origin, marital status or ancestry. Samish and Indian preference will be applied to the selection for this position as defined in Title 25, US Code Section 473, with a special priority being given to American Indians with disabilities.
Please state your eligibility for Indian preference in your cover letter. Samish and Indian preference must be documented prior to interview or hiring. BIA Form 4432 or tribal enrollment ID may be submitted with the application if claiming Indian Preference.
All persons who are offered employment with the Samish Indian Nation must give permission for a thorough background check of previous work performance, motor vehicle history, credit history and criminal history.