TITLE: National River Cleanup Campaign Manager
WAGE CATEGORY: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Manager of Corporate Relations
LOCATION: Washington, DC
ABOUT AMERICAN RIVERS
American Rivers is the leading organization working to protect and restore the nation’s rivers and streams. Rivers connect us to each other, nature, and future generations. Since 1973, American Rivers has fought to preserve these connections, helping protect and restore more than 150,000 miles of rivers through advocacy efforts, on-the-ground projects, and the annual release of America’s Most Endangered Rivers™. Headquartered in Washington, DC, American Rivers has offices across the country and more than 100,000 supporters, members, and volunteers nationwide. American Rivers maintains a positive work environment with a culture of learning, support and balance. For more information please visit www.americanrivers.org.
This position is responsible for managing the organization’s most visible citizen engagement and corporate sponsor program, National River Cleanup®. The Manager will handle a range of responsibilities from working with corporate sponsors executing/fulfilling sponsorship elements/components, to interacting with local organizers to ensure smooth handling of event logistics. The Manager will also work with the Manager of Corporate Relations to develop corporate relationships, increase the membership and activist base and increase American Rivers' national visibility through the National River Cleanup® program. This position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Manager of Corporate Relations.
• Help shape the development of this program as a signature volunteer, conservation, programmatic, marketing, development and membership tool.
• Serve as liaison between cleanup organizers and American Rivers.
• Develop an outreach plan to recruit and engage more local, pre-existing cleanups.
• Foster and develop relationships with major national volunteer and corporate partners to advance the program.
• Work closely with Manager of Corporate Relations to ensure that sponsorship requirements are met and exceeded.
• Compile annual, end-of-year sponsorship reports.
• Work with internal programs to increase visibility organization-wide and engage field staff as AR spokespersons at sponsored cleanups as appropriate.
• Coordinate cleanup event logistics, including traveling to and serving as spokesperson for American Rivers at select events for corporate sponsors.
• Track media coverage of National River Cleanup® related events and activities.
• Work with Director of Online Strategies to improve and enhance the structure and content of National River Cleanup® related web site content – including the content management and development of the registration site.
• Draft and publish National River Cleanup® blog posts for American Rivers and sponsors.
• Maintain ongoing e-mail correspondence with participants/organizers to increase engagement.
• Develop effective tools to further engage organizers – through polls, surveys, educational materials, etc.
• Encourage local participants to sign up to receive American Rivers’ e-newsletters and other communications when appropriate.
• Ensure a smooth online user/organizer experience.
• Manage organizer mailings and list maintenance.
• Schedule meetings, travel for cleanups, and prep staff members for cleanups as needed.
• Ongoing administrative support as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned by Manager of Corporate Relations, or as otherwise needed.
• Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of communications, event-management, campaign/organizing experience, or equivalent background.
• Prefer candidate with proven experience in a non-profit and some knowledge of conservation issues.
• Ability to work collaboratively in promoting the goals and objectives of the organization.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking.
• Highly organized and able to meet deadlines.
• Ability to perform multiple tasks effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team. Ability to work effectively with a range of personalities and working styles, and with people at all levels of the organization, including staff, board, foundation officers, and donors.
• Experience using Windows software, including Word and Excel, and database programs.
• Good sense of humor and flexibility.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, retirement plan, and generous leave time.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a resume and cover letter (including salary history) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “National River Cleanup Position” in the subject line or to American Rivers, Attn: National River Cleanup Position, 1101 14th Street, NW, Suite 1400, Washington, DC 20005. No phone calls please.
American Rivers is an Equal Opportunity Employer