Provides immigration services under attorney or BIA-accredited representative supervision, including consultations, application assistance, and necessary follow-up services. Prepares and delivers presentations on various immigration issues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Advising and counseling clients in immigration and naturalization applications and issues as they arise under the Immigration Nationality Act of 1965 and any of its later amendments.
- Conducting intake interviews at 80 Maiden Lane (on walk-in days) and at other CCCS sites in Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and the seven counties of the Lower Hudson Valley, as assigned.
- Providing application assistance on scheduled one-on-one appointments at 80 Maiden Lane and at other CCCS sites in Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and the seven counties of the Lower Hudson Valley, as assigned.
- Researching law and investigating facts to determine possible course of legal action and to prepare cases accordingly.
- Preparing, reviewing, completing, submitting, and following-up on applications in routine types of immigration matters, including but not limited to: basic consultations, relative petitions, naturalization petitions, adjustment of status applications, consular visa processing, employment authorization applications, green card replacement applications, nonimmigrant visa extension and change of status applications, etc.
- Working with immigrant victims of domestic violence, trafficking, and other serious crimes: providing assistance with self-petitions for special immigrant juveniles and battered immigrant spouses and children, U and T visa applications for victims of crimes or of human trafficking.
- Preparing for and conducting presentations, workshops and outreach events on various immigration issues throughout the Archdiocese of New York.
- Maintaining and updating client hard file and electronic records using the computerized immigration software LawLogix.
- Maintaining and reporting statistical data as required.
- Assisting with the training of new staff both for Immigration Services and Immigration Hotlines.
Education and/or experience required:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a BA in related field, or equivalent professional training related to the position.
- Bilingual Spanish and English required.
- Comprehensive knowledge of software appropriate to the office environment.
- Previous experience in immigration law and procedures preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong organization and analytical skills.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work with clients from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Ability to travel throughout the Archdiocese.
How to apply
Send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to:
FAX: (212) 826-8795
FAX: (212) 826-8795
80 Maiden Lane, New York, NY, 10038, US