Mott Hall Charter School (MHCS) is a new middle school opened in 2012 in the Morrisania neighborhood of the Bronx. We are a small school serving approximately 250 students in grades six through eight. The mission of MHCS is to provide rigorous academics and strong social and emotional supports to prepare students for success in top high schools in New York City and beyond. We accomplish this through employing a longer instructional day and year, implementing the International Baccalaureate Program, technology infusion, and enrichment programming.
We are currently hiring teachers for the 2014-15 school year in all subject areas.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES/SELECTION CRITERIA:
The successful candidate will:
- Meet the needs of adolescents by participating in a school culture that employs progressive approaches to students' physical, psychological, and social/emotional development including life skills, stress management, and a restorative approach to discipline.
- Implement the subject area curriculum and instructional program identified by the school and develop modifications and supplements based on student needs and school mission.
- Plan and implement the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme principles and practices throughout the subject area curriculum and instructional program.
- Use on-going formative assessment to provide weekly numeric and narrative feedback to every student.
- Use periodic summative assessment to measure student learning, develop instructional plans to meet student needs, and administer follow-up assessment and analysis.
- Participate in collaborative planning in content-specific teams and interdisciplinary teams that produce deliverables meeting school standards.
- Develop interdisciplinary units of study periodically throughout the school year that incorporate research and learning experiences outside of the school.
- Partner with New York City institutions and programs to lead educational field trips and service learning experiences.
- Use the workshop model of instruction.
- Use differentiated instructional techniques to meet the interests, intelligences, abilities, and learning styles of adolescents.
- Incorporate explicit reading and writing strategies in daily routines and classroom instruction.
- Integrate instructional technology in students' learning activities.
- Facilitate intervention and extracurricular activities.
- Maintain current reporting and planning documents including electronic/internet-based formats for curriculum maps, unit plans, lesson plans, grade book, student behavior, and assessment analysis.
- Participate in professional development events both self-selected and selected by the school.
- Attend parental involvement activities including parent/teacher conferences, open houses, and special events.
- Maintain frequent communication with parents through a variety of communication channels.
- Use school-wide research-based framework for the teaching profession to develop and achieve goals based on reflection of professional practice both individually and in collaboration with teachers and Principal.
- Implement practices outlined in Principal observation feedback.
- Adhere to school policy and procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
New York State certification Grades K-6, 5-9, or 7-12 in appropriate subject area.
How to apply
To apply please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1260 Franklin Avenue, Bronx, NY, 10456, US