GUGCS Middle School Learning Specialist (2014-2015 School Year)
Mission Statement: Growing Up Green Charter School empowers children to be conscious, contributing members of their community through a rigorous curriculum and an engaging green culture. Graduates of GUGCS will be prepared to attend high-performing schools where their interdisciplinary academic foundation, knowledge of sustainability, and strong sense of self sets them apart as leaders of the future.
- Provide daily reading, writing, and math instruction to students mandated for SETSS as well as intervention support for students who are "at risk".
- Help teachers to develop materials and techniques for individuals and small groups
- Participate in our weekly at risk committee meetings to discuss children and plan strategies for their education and support
- Support teachers in helping them to implement the interventions suggested at SSC meetings
- Support teachers in monitoring students' progress within the interventions
- Attend IEP review meetings
- Usethe Responsive Classroom model for community-building and behavior management strategies
- Maintain organized records of anecdotal notes and assessments
- Administer formal interim assessments and informal ongoing assessments, conferencing, end-of-unit rubrics, student portfolios, etc.
- Establish and maintain ongoing positive relationships with families
- Actively participate in school community through weekly staff meetings, PD opportunities, staff committees, school events, etc.
- Work with instructional coach on specific goals throughout the year
- Respond productively to ongoing, year-round professional feedback
- Use weekly lesson plans to help drive instruction in a clear manner
- Demonstrate commitment to working with diverse populations of families and students, including those at-risk
- Perform other school-wide responsibilities
- Strong commitment to Growing Up Green Charter School's mission and green theme
- Strong commitment to a multi-sensory teaching approach
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a team of teachers
- Knowledge of Responsive Classroom
- Experience in environmental education a plus
- Experience with technology integration
- Excellent organizational skills
- Bachelor's Degree required; Master's Degree preferred
- Teaching Certificate in Students with Disability required
- At least one year experience teaching students in the middle school grades
Required Certificates & Licenses: Teaching certificate, NYC DOE/Fingerprinting & Background Clearance
How to apply
How to Apply
Growing Up Green is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage and value a diverse workforce, and we seek diversity among applicants for this position.
Please submit a resume and cover letter, attention Director of Special Education, to the address below. In your cover letter please address the following questions:
What prior experiences qualify you for this position? What experience, if any, do you have with green principles and sustainability?
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org Please write in the subject line: Middle School Learning Specialist
FAX: (347) 642-4310
POSTAL MAIL: Growing Up Green, attn.: Director of Curriculum
39-27 28th Street
Long Island City, NY 11101
No phone calls please.
For more information about our school, please check our website: www.gugcs.org
Director of Curriculum
FAX: (347) 642-4310
3927 28th Street, Long Island City, NY, 11101, US