Department: Expanded Horizons
Start Date: As soon as possible
Hours: Full-Time and Part-Time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Since 1893, Henry Street has delivered the most effective, compassionate and comprehensive services possible to residents of the Lower East Side. As a multifaceted not-for-profit, Henry Street provides innovative social services, arts programs and healthcare services from 18 locations throughout the Lower East Side. Building upon its legacy for innovation and effective programming, Henry Street has grown to offer more than 50 different programs, currently making it the most comprehensive settlement house in New York City, as well as one of the City's largest social service agencies. Henry Street is governed by a 45-member Board of Directors and is supported by government grants and contracts, as well as foundation, corporate and individual support.
This position is part of the Henry Street Settlement Education and Employment Services Cluster which is an $8.4 m division providing a continuum of services from early childhood education through adult workforce programs designed to assist individuals in obtaining the skills necessary for lifetime self-sufficiency. Education Services include 2 day care centers, after school programs (5 sites), camp programs (3 sites), Adolescent Education programs, and Expanded Horizons College Access and Retention program (both community center and school based). This position is within our Adolescent Education Department and is part of a school based program serving 3 middle schools. This position reports to the Project Coordinator.
- Bachelor in Education or Counseling; Master's degree in related field preferred
- Minimum of two (2) years working experience in a middle school academic setting
- Superior public speaking and presentation skills
- Knowledge of local community resources, Department of Education systems as they pertain to high school admissions and promotion requirements
- Thorough knowledge of all steps in the high school and college application process
- Interest in providing quality educational and enrichment experiences to youth
- Experience working with youth from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work with students of variety of academic backgrounds
- Strong organizational, multitasking and follow through skills
- Self-motivated ability to work efficiently and effectively under pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible and positive team-oriented attitude
- Computer knowledge including experience with Microsoft software package, local area networks and the internet
- Must be able to work weekends
- Assist in the development of materials and programs related to educating middle school children and their parents regarding the high school choice process
- Assist in the coordination of college preparation courses, writing curriculum and implementation of college-bound activities workshops and college visits
- Help in the coordination and outreach for parent engagement events/workshops
- Provide group and individual high school and college access counseling to middle school students
- Distribute materials and information to middle school students including application forms, catalogues, financial aid forms and high school scholarship information, etc.
- Coordinate and implement trips to high school fairs as well as visits to high schools
- Maintain records of all participants and activities including data entry, database management, and progress note upkeep
- Establish relationships with other high school choice and college-bound programs, Community Based Organization and local high schools
- Ability to provide group facilitation
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
How to apply:
To Apply email Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line, please indicate "Middle School Advisor"
Due to the high volume of applicants, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Henry Street Settlement offers excellent benefits and is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
265 Henry Street, New York, NY, 10002, US