Invictus Prep is a college prep middle school in Brooklyn, NY with a single goal: college success for all students. Our teachers are driven by student learning and academic results, and work relentlessly towards our college prep goal.
While similar in structure to many other No Excuses charter schools, Invictus Prep differentiates itself through its staffing structure and class size. At Invictus Prep:
- ALL ELA and Math classes are taught by two teachers: We place two full-time teachers in our core academic classes to ensure individualization and student support.
- Class sizes are limited to a maximum of 24 students: By keeping our classes small, we are able to increase the amount of individual support we can provide to every single one of our scholars. We aim to maximize academic growth by creating a small, supportive, and highly focused learning environment.
This one-two combination is part of our effort to create an academic environment similar to that of many New York City private schools.
Qualifications and Experience
- Strong commitment to, belief in, and alignment with Invictus Prep's mission and vision
- High level of professionalism
- Open to feedback and willing to engage in a cycle of continuous improvement
- Commitment to analyzing student achievement data and its use to drive instruction
- Steadfast belief that each and every student is capable of high levels of academic achievement
- Own the academic results of their students
- Bachelor's degree in Math, English, Linguistics, Education, or a related area
- New York State Special Education Certification required
- Two years urban teaching experience preferred
- Measurable evidence of driving academic growth for students highly preferred
- Develop and deliver one dynamite lesson for four periods daily to a small group of our highest needs students (3-10 students in a group)
- Develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with Invictus Prep's standards
- Inspire students to hold themselves to a high standard of academics and character
- Use school-wide classroom management practices to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
- Analyze assessment data (exit tickets, weekly quizzes, unit exams and interim assessments) and use it to inform instruction
- Collaborate with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student mastery of standards
- Maintain close relationships with families, including phone calls and conferences
- Monitor and sustain a school culture with high academic and behavioral expectations
- A Macbook Air and iPhone to plan lessons, collaborate with other teachers, and ensure communication with students and families
- Two week August Training Camp to review and prepare systems, curriculum, and classrooms for student arrival
- A minimum of two hours of prep time daily
- Two hours weekly of co-planning time for curriculum collaboration
- 12:30pm weekly student dismissal to allow for professional development
- Regular collaboration with other high-performing charter schools to reflect on and share best practices
- A professional school culture with colleagues that were among the 2% of accepted applicants to Invictus Prep's staff
- Highly competitive benefits: Health, Vision, Dental, and Life insurance along with a 403-b retirement plan that is generously matched by Invictus Prep
Invictus Prep is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to building a staff that reflects the diversity of its student body. Invictus Prep does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
How to apply
Please answer the following short essay questions and send your responses, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Why do you want to work in an urban charter middle school?
2. How should you be evaluated as a teacher?
3. What's your opinion of standardized testing?
4. Would you describe yourself as a warm or strict teacher?
370 Fountain Ave, Third Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11208, US