Department: Supportive / Reentry Services
Reports To: Senior Director, Supportive Services
The Mentor Services Coordinator will be responsible for the start-up and continual operation of the mentoring component of the new STRIVE Reentry Program which will provide mentoring services to incarcerated fathers 60-days prior to release as well as post-release while they are participating in STRIVE’s CORE Attitudinal and Job Readiness Training Program. General responsibilities include recruiting and training mentors, facilitating group mentoring sessions behind the wall at Riker’s Island, and continuing to provide additional training and support to mentors throughout the 4-month mentoring program. The Mentoring Services Coordinator will ensure that all activities and output measures are reached during the grant period and will be responsible for recording programmatic data in the Efforts-to-Outcome Database. The right applicant will have a strong, personal commitment to ensuring the successful reentry of incarcerated fathers back into the community and a passion and deep understanding of the issues involved with reentry and parenting.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recruit and determine suitability of mentors from the pool of STRIVE graduates and graduates of our Fatherhood program, as well as from our network of community partners to serve as mentor/coaches in the STRIVE Reentry Program which will entail attending three group mentoring sessions behind the wall at Riker’s Island as well as continued one-on-one and small group mentoring at STRIVE after participants are released.
- Perform the STRIVE Reentry Program Mentor Screening Process which includes the Mentor Application, Matching Form, an Application Essay, and an in-person interview.
- Lead and facilitate the 6-hour STRIVE Mentor Training each month while continuing to recruit additional mentors.
- Facilitate bi-weekly group mentoring sessions behind the wall at Riker’s Island to groups of up to 12 inmates utilizing the 24/7 Dads Fatherhood curriculum and techniques from Motivational Interviewing.
- Refers agency applicants, participants, graduates, and community residents to programs (e.g. housing services, long-term counseling, child-care, domestic abuse intervention agencies) that can assist them to resolve issues preventing them from participating in the labor market.
- Provides support and supervision to STRIVE Mentors so that they can serve as strong allies and resources for SRP Participants.
- Maintains case notes, files and client data base as specified by the Senior Director, Support Services, the Sr. Case Manager and/ or the Department Coordinator.
- Facilitates specialized workshops for formerly incarcerated adults, fathers and other populations as mandated by grant programs.
- Conducts participant follow-up after normal business hours on a quarterly basis.
- Develop creative, innovative and effective ways to retain mentor and mentee participation.
- Ensure and monitor that weekly, bi-weekly, and monthly mentor-mentee meetings are occurring.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Obtains ongoing training in counseling techniques and social services in general as provided by the Senior Director, Support Services and/or external training sessions as budget allows. Stays current on new methodologies and studies in the social work field.
- Works with case manager to maintain and update agency’s resource/referral directory.
- Completes other tasks as assigned or needed.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s Degree in social work or related field of study preferred, or equivalent experience. At least 2 years of experience working with court-involved populations and mentoring programs, as well as exceptional communication skills required. Overall knowledge of basic individual and group counseling skills a plus. Experience working with the Criminal Justice System a must. Life skills and experience will also be taken into consideration. Must have a working knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office software. Bilingual (English/Spanish) is helpful.
Salary commensurate with experience; excellent benefits; vacation/sick days;
STRIVE prides itself on the diversity of its workforce. STRIVE is committed to equal employment opportunity to all job applicants and employees.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume toNationalHR@striveinternational.org
STRIVE is an equal opportunity employer
240 East 123rd Street, 3rd floor, New York, NY, 10035, US