Compelling writer and storyteller. Cultivator of strong relationships. Detail-oriented project manager. Fundraiser extraordinaire. Passionate defender of the public interest.
If these describe you, then maybe you're who we're looking for!
VPIRG is looking for a mission-driven individual with strong project management, relationship-building and writing skills to serve as our Membership Coordinator. The right candidate understands the needs and activities of member-based advocacy organizations and enjoys strategizing how to garner support for our work. The Membership Coordinator will manage and implement activities aimed at telling the story of our work in a compelling way to members, donors and the public. Strong communications skills, attention to detail and analytical fundraising sense will be critical to success in this role.
The Membership Coordinator will work under the guidance of the Associate Director and in partnership with the entire staff and board to conduct: direct mail, phone and online giving campaigns; major donor drives, donor prospecting and cultivation; and related member communications and cultivation activities. Experience with grassroots activism, marketing and/or communications preferred. This is the perfect position for someone with strong skills looking to learn while doing as they hone the fine art of fundraising and development. This position offers an opportunity for professional development and growth as you cultivate our base of over 25,000 members and supporters and grow the organization's capacity to defend the public interest. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Montpelier.
About VPIRG: VPIRG's mission is to promote the health and well-being of Vermont's environment, people and locally-based economy by informing and mobilizing citizens across the state. For over 40 years we have represented the public's voice, countering special interest influence on issues of public health, the environment, consumer protection and democracy. VPIRG's work has helped keep Vermont on the cutting edge of critical state and national issues ranging from fighting climate change and building a clean energy future for Vermont, to defying chemical industry lobbyists to fundamentally change how we regulate toxic chemicals in Vermont, to the effort to transform Vermont's health care system into a single-payer model of universal health care for all. We identify innovative solutions and build the political support necessary to put practical ideas into action. The organization has 12 full-time staff and a summer field staff of 50 and an annual budget of ~ $1.4 million. You can find more information about VPIRG and our campaigns on our website at: www.vpirg.org.
Job Summary: The Membership Coordinator will contribute to VPIRG's work by coordinating and implementing various components of VPIRG's membership development and fundraising activities.
• Member/donor solicitation: Coordinate and participate in various development and fundraising projects including: direct mail, major donor, phone campaigns, door canvassing, online fundraising and planned giving.
• Writing and communications: Draft/edit direct mail, phone and online appeals and contribute to developing other member communications and informational materials including newsletter, campaign updates, grant reports, website and brochures.
• Research: Conduct donor prospecting and foundation research; follow best practices and trends in fundraising and development and help apply these strategies to our work.
• Cultivation and engagement: Assist in designing and carrying out new member prospecting and outreach activities as well as existing member cultivation strategies; develop and implement innovative ways to engage, educate and excite our base of supporters and groom lifelong members that bridge generational, geographic, socioeconomic and political divides.
• Strategic analysis: Analyze metrics of fundraising efforts; assess, project and track membership rates of renewal and giving habits; assist with budget projections and monitoring of multi-stream fundraising efforts and membership growth strategies.
Qualifications: Experience with grassroots organizing, issue-oriented campaigning and/or marketing and communications desired. Must be extremely personable, have a persuasive way with words (both verbal and written), and have the ability to tell an inspiring story. The ideal candidate is flexible, detail-oriented and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment. Experience with CRM/donor databases and advanced level Microsoft Excel skills required. Commitment to the issues on which VPIRG works and a mission-driven approach are essential in this demanding and highly-professional work environment.
Compensation: Competitive salary depending on experience. VPIRG offers an excellent benefits package including employer-paid health, vision and dental insurance, long-term disability insurance, employer-matching IRA contributions of up to 3% of salary, and four weeks of annual leave.
Apply: Send cover letter, resume and writing sample via email only. VPIRG is an equal opportunity employer. This position will remain open until filled. Seeking start date ASAP.