Since it began operating in 1997, the See Forever Foundation's mission has been to create learning communities in lower income urban areas where all students, particularly those who have not succeeded in traditional schools, can succeed academically and socially. The Foundation operates the Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools in DC, as well as the Maya Angelou Academy at New Beginnings' secure facility for committed youth in Laurel, MD. Our students develop the academic, social, and employment skills they need to build rewarding lives and promote positive change.
If you are interested in learning more about See Forever, please visit our website at www.seeforever.org.
The Maya Angelou Public Charter School in Washington D.C. is seeking a Principal to lead our Maya Angelou Public Charter High School campus. Our high school has an alternative designation and serves 300 students.
Reporting to See Forever's chief academic officer, the Maya Angelou Public Charter High School Principal will direct the school's operation, including human resources and budget, in consultation with the chief operating officer, as well as programming elements in cooperation with See Forever's senior leadership. The high school Principal and staff will be responsible for creating a learning environment of high expectations and high support to ensure the success of the school and student outcomes. The Principal is expected to lead the school-wide goals of emphasizing literacy, helping students develop their critical thinking abilities, driving all students toward mastery and understanding, and helping students find their strengths and talents to use them to address weaknesses and overcome fears. There is an emphasis upon collecting and utilizing a broad range of data to drive instruction, upon weaving social justice themes into instructional content and assessment and collaborative team teaching to meet the needs of all of our students. In addition, the high school embraces a competency-based instructional program where students develop key skills and competencies to prepare them for postsecondary and career success. All of our students complete and receive acceptances to postsecondary institutions and receive instruction on crafting their "future focus".
- Design and monitor the implementation of all programming elements in cooperation with the Chief Academic Officer
- Supervise the instructional programs of the school, including evaluating lesson plans and observing classes on a regular basis, with significant support from the chief academic office
- Establish the master schedule for instructional programs, ensuring meaningful academic and vocational experiences for students;
- Provide leadership for all aspects of the school program to support social emotional learning and a high quality holistic learning environment for scholars;
- Analyzing data to monitor student outcomes and ensure continuous improvement process;
- Complete in a timely fashion all records and reports concerning student attendance, progress, and transcripts as required by See Forever and its oversight organizations;
- Create a learning environment of high expectations and high support to ensure the success of the school and student outcomes and that all community members have an equitable opportunity to achieve;
- Effectively manage a highly skilled and motivated staff, including recruiting staff, ensuring staff development, and retaining talented staff in conjunction with the Chief Operating Officer and Chief Academic Officer
- Maintain a collegial professional learning community that ensures that staff are inspired to educate themselves and continuously improve the outcomes of the scholars;
- Establish and promote high standards and expectations for all students and staff for academic performance and behavior;
- Build positive relationships with the scholars and their families and/or support networks;
- Direct the school's operation, including human resources and budget, in consultation with the chief operating officer;
- Develop clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the campus which are consistent with the philosophy, mission, values and goals of See Forever;
- Effectively communicate about the progress of the high school to SFF board members, District officials, and community partners and stakeholders;
- Work closely with See Forever's Socio-Emotional Learning Department and Postsecondary Student Success Department
- Serve as the See Forever/Maya Angelou official who is accountable to the District of Columbia Public Charter School Board, the Office of the State Superintendent of Education, and other oversight agencies, for the efficacy of the programs.
- Other duties as assigned
Ideal candidates will have a bachelor's degree, several years of teaching experience, and several years of experience managing programs in the fields of education, career/technical education, or workforce development. In addition, candidates should have:
- at least five years of experience working with and supporting adolescents who have not succeeded in traditional settings and are functioning significantly below grade level;
- experience working with diverse populations, especially in urban youth education
- a demonstrated track record of success in developing and executing on a long-term, multi-tiered strategy;
- the ability to lead, support, and engage in the ongoing professional development, independently and with colleagues, that is the hallmark of effective teaching;
- the ability or experience to work with multiple community partners, government agencies, and other groups to connect students to needed services and supports;
- the ability to adhere to, develop, and implement internal systems necessary to build capacity and organizational structure;
- the ability to collaborate and build relationships with stakeholders across functional and organizational lines;
- strong personnel management skills, with an ability to hire, develop, and evaluate outstanding teams;
- strong analytical skills and an ability to using data and results to drive instruction, programming, change, and improvement;
- excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- comfort with working in a fast-paced, non-profit environment;
In addition, candidates should possess an unyielding belief that with the appropriate supports, coupled with high expectations, all students can significantly improve their academic and workforce skills, and can develop pro-social and culturally normative behaviors that will enable them to succeed in the workplace, post-secondary education, and beyond.
Honesty & Integrity: Does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Does what is right, not just what is politically expedient. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
Analytical skills: able to structure and process qualitative or quantitative data and draw insightful conclusions from it; exhibits a probing mind and achieves penetrating insights
Persistence: Demonstrates tenacity and willingness to go the distance to get something done; Dedication to serving at-risk youth.
Strategic thinking/visioning: Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way; determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends
Flexibility/adaptability: Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions; copes effectively with complexity and change
Enthusiasm: Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has can do attitude.
Salary and Benefits
Our teaching salaries for the 2014-2015 school year will match those of District of Columbia Public Schools and other leaders in teacher compensation in the DC area. We also offer relocation funds in some cases. In addition, See Forever offers a robust benefits plan, including health care coverage, a 403(b) retirement savings plan, and the opportunity to positively impact students with a broad range of experiences and backgrounds.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume and contact information for three references here: High School Principal at Maya Angelou Public Charter School. Resumes and references should be in MS Word or PDF.
See Forever is an equal opportunity employer. We believe a diverse staff is a better, more effective staff.
5600 East Capitol Street NE, Washington, DC, 20019, US