Blueprint Schools Network (Blueprint) is a nonprofit organization based in Massachusetts. Our work with schools around the country has shown that positive change is possible when five core strategies for school improvement are implemented together as a comprehensive package. These strategies include:
1. Ensuring every student has an excellent teacher and a school leader committed to their success;
2. Setting clear, consistent standards for academic achievement and establishing a school-wide focus on preparing all students for college;
3. Increasing instructional time;
4. Providing daily, small group tutoring to students using highly qualified and well-trained instructors; and
5. Collecting assessment data frequently to monitor each student’s academic progress and tailoring instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
In late January 2014, Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Mitchell D. Chester selected Blueprint to become the receiver for Paul A. Dever (Dever) Elementary School in Boston. As receiver, Blueprint will assume full responsibility for the day-to-day implementation of our five core strategies in order to provide an excellent education to all students who attend.
The Math Instructional Specialist at the Paul A. Dever School will assist teachers and other staff to develop strategies, skills, tools, techniques, and capacity to effectively teach math to all students. The instructional specialist will also manage the Blueprint Math Fellows program within the Dever Elementary school. The Math Fellows program is an intensive tutoring model in which targeted students receive data-driven, small-group instruction as part of their daily school schedule. As Math Fellow Coordinator, the Math Instructional Specialist will oversee implementation of the program at the Dever and ensure that all Fellows are delivering effective lessons to their students and receiving meaningful professional development throughout the school year.
Whole-School Mathematics Support (60%)
- Lead the implementation of a school-wide mathematics plan anchored by ambitious learning goals for students;
- Coach staff to plan and deliver effective math instruction that ensures that all students are prepared for success;
- Create and present professional development on areas of identified need, including strategies for best serving ELL and Special Education students;
- Facilitate Professional Learning Community meetings in which teachers analyze student data, plan instruction, and develop a shared understanding of effective math instruction;
- Guide teachers to collect and analyze data and develop action plans in response to determined student needs;
- Oversee development and implementation of math interventions and supports for students;
- Gather and provide resources for teachers to supplement the curriculum and ensure student achievement;
- Help assess student strengths and needs through classroom observation, interpretation of data, and the evaluation of student work;
- Maintain collaborative relationships with teachers that allow for the exchange of honest feedback and professional growth.
Math Fellows Program Support (40%)
- Supervise and support a team of Fellows to plan and deliver effective, data-driven tutorial lessons that will result in significant growth for all participating students;
- Create and present professional development for Fellows on areas of identified need, including strategies for effective small-group instruction, creating a culture of high academic and behavioral expectations, and tailoring instruction to meet students’ needs;
- Ensure alignment between tutorials and math classroom instruction by creating systems for collaboration between Fellows and math teachers;
- Monitor progress towards student achievement goals and develop Fellows’ capacity to collect, analyze, and use student data;
- Ensure clear, effective communication amongst all stakeholders, including students, Fellows, teachers, administrators, families, and Blueprint;
- Coordinate program implementation logistics including scheduling, student groupings, and assessment administration;
- Ensure that Fellows uphold all professional expectations set by the Program, the school, and the AmeriCorps partnership.
- Master’s Degree preferred;
- 5+ years teaching experience;
- Demonstrated success in improving student achievement;
- Deep knowledge of mathematics, instructional coaching, and curriculum development;
- Understanding of the Common Core State Standards
- Outstanding presentation and facilitation skills;
- Interpersonal skills (communication, problem solving, conflict management, collaboration) to share research-based instructional approaches and provide advice, mentoring, and coaching to teachers and other staff;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Unwavering belief that all students can succeed
How to apply
Interested candidates should apply through our online system. To apply, please submit resume, cover letter, and two professional references at http://blueprintschools.theresumator.com/apply.
NOTE: Please indicate within your cover letter if you are a current staff member of Dever A. Elementary School and/or if you have teaching experience working within a dual-language instruction school.
Blueprint Schools Network is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V