MassDEP Green Business Specialist
The Center for EcoTechnology works with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) on the RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts program. This full-time position will work closely with the Branch Chief of Waste Planning and Commercial Waste Reduction in the MassDEP office in Boston and report to the Green Business Manager within the Green Business Services department at CET.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Organics Diversion Focus:
• Assist with program analysis, reporting, and measurement for composting and recycling facilities.
• Provide outreach, education and technical assistance in the areas of food waste diversion.
• Assist MassDEP staff to engage state-owned facilities for food waste diversion.
• Develop food waste diversion case studies for target sectors.
• Potential follow up on needs assessment for food waste diversion from food manufacturers and processors.
RecyclingWorks in Massachusetts Outreach
• Coordinate with Green Business Services Department and MassDEP on waste ban outreach and compliance assistance
• Coordinate stakeholder discussions on the increased diversion of carpet, asphalt shingles, and other construction materials
• Analyze data from facilities handling construction and demolition materials and other recyclables
• Speak to business association groups like Chambers, Green Community groups and others to promote RecyclingWorks and engage businesses.
General Business Assistance
• Serve as the first point of contact for businesses in key market sectors. Engage decision makers for technical assistance services to be provided by other Green Business Specialists as appropriate.
• Communicate a working understanding of separation and collection mechanisms for commercial generators of various recyclable materials.
• Respond to resource management questions via phone and email about environmentally preferable purchasing, disposal, composting and recycling.
• Respond to businesses, institutions and colleges and universities in the immediate Boston area interested in reducing waste through Recycling Works.
• College degree and 2 years of related experience in the areas of solid waste, recycling, and composting
• Valid driver's license with reliable transportation
• Professional appearance and professional communication style in business setting
• Excellent communication skills: public speaking and demonstrated concise and professional writing skills
• Strong project management skills including the ability to work independently and in an organized way, ability to track and report results and accomplish tasks within timelines
• Experience speaking to business owners, facility managers and all levels of staff in a wide range of business types.
• Ability to convey information in a straight forward unbiased way and adept at helping implement incremental change.
• Knowledge and experience researching information (online, print and telephone)
• Work-style - flexible, self-directed, professional, hard-work ethic, patient, works well independently, with others, or as team leader
• Attention to detail, good problem solving skills and observational skills
• Proficient in MS Office suite, and comfortable with using Excel for data tracking and analysis
The Center for EcoTechnology offers competitive pay rates and a comprehensive health plan which pays approximately 64% of the individual's health insurance costs. New employees are eligible for health, dental and disability insurance after 30 days of employment. New employees accrue 10 days of paid vacation leave per year, 9 sick days and we offer 12 paid holidays. This position will be a full-time hourly position with benefits based in the Mass DEP office in Boston.
CET is an equal opportunity employer.
Send cover letter and resume via email to:
Amanda Bates, HR Assistant
112 Elm Street, Pittsfield, MA 01201
Amanda Bates, HR Assistant