The Marine Mammal Center, an equal opportunity, non-profit employer, is seeking a Marine Science Educator: Outreach Programs Lead to join our team. The Marine Mammal Center’s mission is to expand knowledge about marine mammalstheir health and that of their ocean environmentand to inspire their global conservation. Our core work is the rescue and rehabilitation of sick and injured marine mammals, supported by state-of-the-art animal care and research facilities, a corps of dedicated volunteers, and an engaged community.
Reporting to the Student and Teacher Programs Coordinator, the Marine Science Educator: Outreach Programs Lead is a full-time, exempt position with benefits. The Marine Science Educator teaches the breadth of marine science programs and tours offered at The Center, ensuring that the content and delivery corresponds to the knowledge and age level of the client (ages Pre-K to adults). The Center’s programs/tours take place in Sausalito and throughout the Bay Area via the Whale Bus mobile outreach program. This role will primarily be stationed at the main location in the Marin Headlands and will regularly deliver Whale Bus outreach programs in schools throughout the Bay Area. This role assists in evaluating, updating and development of onsite and offsite program/tours.
As the outreach programs lead, this role is focused on the programmatic and operational aspects of the outreach program. This role will continually assess and improve the content and delivery of Whale Bus programs, utilizing program evaluations and instructor feedback. This role will research and integrate new technologies and innovative instructional techniques as key features of the Center’s outreach programs. In addition, this role will work closely with the Education Programs Assistant to ensure scheduling optimization for outreach vehicles and instructional staff. The outreach programs lead will share responsibility for ensuring the outreach program achieves annual revenue goals and manages expenditures in line with the operating budget. This role will develop and implement systems and processes to ensure proper vehicle maintenance and materials management.
Although this role primarily serves the Student and Teacher Programs audience, he/she may be required to deliver Extended Learning and Guest Experience Programs, as needed. The Marine Science Educator role requires self-direction and initiative. The position is supported and supervised by the Student and Teacher Programs Coordinator, under the supervision of the Manager of Student and Teacher Programs.
This role typically works a Monday-Friday schedule, but may be required to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays, depending on program schedules.
- Ability to engage and teach marine science content to ages Pre-K to adult.
- Ability to develop and evaluate inquiry-based programs for pre K to 12th grade audience.
- Ability to provide exceptional customer service to a variety of audiences.
- Ability to multi-task while being very efficient with time.
- Self-directed and ability to take initiative and see projects through to completion with minimal supervision.
- Ability to integrate new technologies into programs.
- Skill and ability with using Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Ability to drive the Whale Bus and deliver up to 4 programs per day in schools throughout the Bay Area and to Southern San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties.
- Strong communication, inter-personal, and writing skills.
- Ability to communicate well and work as part of a multidisciplinary team to advance the mission of The Center.
- Teaches all education programs/tours onsite and outreach to schools in the Whale Bus.
- Serves as the lead and primary contact for all aspects of the Whale Bus outreach program.
- Ensure time for advance program preparation, plus begin and end at scheduled times. Outreach programs require arriving at least one hour prior to the scheduled start time.
- Develop new marine science programs, for both onsite and outreach programs, as directed
- Stay abreast of Center and marine science news to be able to inform and enhance programs and inform the public
- Assist in oversight of public areas of the facility for safety, visitor amenities (brochures, clean restrooms, etc) and general maintenance
- Perform evaluation of programs/tours, coordinate teachers involvement and maintain data base of information from evaluations; produce reports, as directed
- Adhere to The Center’s personnel policies and procedures as defined in the employee handbook and as communicated by management.
- Attend all education department and general staff meetings.
- Assists in responding to (or directing) the EDU outlook account and public phone information requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, natural sciences or related field.
- At least 1-2 years experience in leading/teaching school groups and adult groups and leading tours or programs
- Background and/or experience in environmental education and natural sciences
- Program development and evaluation experience is highly desirable.
- Background and/or experience with school environments is highly desirable
- Ability to drive Center vehicles and maintain a clean driving record
- Ability to stand/walk up to 3 hours without a break
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- Ability to complete tasks in a productive, proactive manner
- Ability to multi-task efficiently and prioritize deliverables regularly
- Ability to work with minimal day to day supervision
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Attention to detail and quick to learn
- “Can-do” attitude and willing to take on new projects as needed
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume attention Human Resources Director & I.T. Manager firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Marine Science Educator: Outreach Programs Lead” in the subject line. Deadline for applications is December 6, 2013. Please no phone calls or faxed submissions.
Human Resources Director & I.T. Manager
2000 Bunker Road, Fort Cronkhite, Sausalito, CA, 94965, US