Founded in 1999, BUILD’s mission is to use entrepreneurship to excite and propel disengaged, low-income students through high school to college success. We believe that the power of student ideas in action drives youth to reach their fullest potential in school and beyond. Our four-year high school program offers a unique blend of entrepreneurship, academics, and personal support that attracts and motivates many students who are otherwise at high risk of failing classes and dropping out of high school.
Our students develop their own business ideas, write business plans, pitch to funders, and launch real businesses. This real-world business experience makes school relevant and motivates them to succeed. To help them become college-eligible, students also receive individualized academic support and advising for their school-work and college planning.
BUILD currently serves 1100 high school students at programs located in Redwood City and Oakland, CA; Washington DC; and Boston, MA. For more information, see: www.build.org.
Reporting to the Director, National Programs and working closely with the National Program Team (NPT) and site staff, the Manager, Curriculum Design is responsible for updating existing curricula and designing new curricular resources. The Manger, Curriculum Design will ensure that the BUILD curricular resources use best practices in experiential education and project-based learning, are outcome based, aligned with 21st Century Skills and Common Core Standards, developmentally appropriate, engaging, and driving the organization to achieve its mission.
- Research, Design and Publish Curricula
- Conduct initial research with primary stakeholders to define desired student outcomes, best practices for teaching and learning, and alignment with 21st Century Skills and the Common Core Standards.
- Review relevant literature.
- Develop and implement a detailed project plan for completion of curricular updates and for creation of new resources.
- Develop a Scope and Sequence for each year of BUILD’s program
- Write original curricula, including lesson and unit plans, for use in traditional classroom settings, as well as experiential education and project-based learning, to align with key educational outcomes for the BUILD students.
- Refine existing curricular products based on research and feedback.
- Manage communication with internal and external stakeholders around curriculum product development.
- Develop a publication plan, identify publication vendors, complete all work necessary for publication.
- Train and Coach
- With the Manager, Program Implementation, create and facilitate professional development for teachers and program staff to enable them to effectively deliver the curriculum.
- Serve as an organizational expert and internal resource on BUILD’s instructional and pedagogical approach.
- oDevelop assessments design to demonstrate student mastery of curricular outcomes.
- oWith the Director, Program Evaluation, develop evaluation and feedback loops and processes to continue to improve and refine curricula after publishing.
- oWith the National Program Team, evaluate curricula and programming in terms of excellent execution and achievement of student outputs and outcomes.
- ·At least 4 years experience as classroom teacher or instructional leader at the high-school level
- ·Demonstrated ability to write engaging, student-centered and pedagogically-sound curriculum. Writing assignment will be provided as part of the application process.
- ·Experience with project based learning and/or experiential learning
- ·Familiarity with 21st Century Skills and Common Core Standards
- ·Masters of Education and/or a deep understanding of current theory and practice in curriculum development, instruction, and secondary education
- ·Comprehensive understanding of adolescent development and the needs of low-income youth of color in the post-secondary access / attainment process
- ·Familiarity with design and publishing software is a plus
In addition, successful candidates will demonstrate the following competencies through a combination of previous education/work experiences:
- ·Project Management: Identify the steps of a project, set appropriate deadlines, identify required participants, and hold self and others accountable to outcomes and deadlines.
- ·Written Communication: Utilize writing skills to effectively communicate a message particular to an audience and to meet relevant goals, using a clear, concise, and compelling style with appropriate language, correct grammar and spelling.
- ·Results-orientation: Achieve a desired goal by planning and working towards it proactively.
- ·Group/Team Facilitation: Highly effective and dynamic facilitation and professional-development skills
- ·Building Collaborative Relationships:Develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support.
- ·Continuous Learning:Maintain active and ongoing curiosity and pursuit of new knowledge.
- ·Qualitative and Quantitative Data:Review both quantitative and non-numeric, often subjective, data sets in order to recognize patterns, identify additional information or data needed, and draw conclusions.
BUILD offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to all full-time employees, including medical, dental, vision, flexible spending accounts and a 403(b) plan. In addition, BUILD employees are eligible for paid vacation, sick time, 10 paid holidays per year, and a flexible work environment.
- ·Location: Redwood City, CA or Washington, DC
- ·Frequent travel between local sites may be required so employees must have their own vehicle for transportation (valid proof of insurance required). Mileage for work-related travel beyond the normal commute will be reimbursed at the stipulated IRS rate.
- ·Occasional extended travel is required during the year for collaboration with site staff and partner educators, facilitation/participation in curriculum workgroups, professional development, site observations, and other curricula related activities
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter and resume email@example.com. In your cover letter, please include how you learned of the opening and your salary requirements.
The position is now open and we will begin to review resumes immediately. Please be advised that you will receive an automated acknowledgement of your application. We will contact all applicants that meet the minimum requirements of the role. Those who meet all candidate requirements will be asked to submit a unit plan sample and to complete one or more job related assignments/writing tasks. BUILD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.