The Managing Director, Strategy & Operations is a core member of AUSL's executive team. S/he ensures that the organization 1) has a sound and executable strategy, 2) establishes quantifiable short and long term strategic objectives, and 3) ensures that sound financial, human resources, and operating mechanisms are in place to meet AUSL's short and long term objectives. Along with the AUSL Executive Director, s/he is a key link to the Board of Directors on strategic and operating matters. The Managing Director, Strategy and Operations will ensure the human resources,finance, facilities, and IT functions are led on par with the best in class for-profit and nonprofit companies.
The Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) The Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) is a nonprofit educational management organization operating in partnership with the Chicago Public Schools (CPS). AUSL's mission is to improve student achievement in chronically failing schools, primarily in Chicago, through its disciplined transformation process, built on a foundation of specially trained AUSL teachers. Founded in 2001, AUSL manages a growing network of 29 CPS schools, trains 180 teachers each year, and has a budget of over $25 million. For more information about AUSL, see www.auslchicago.org.
Reporting relationships: The Managing Director, Strategy and Operations reports to the Executive Director. The following positions report directly to the Managing Director, Operations and Strategy: Director of Finance, Director of Human Resources and Recruiting, Manager of Information Technology, and Business Analyst. AUSL's main office location is 3400 N. Austin Avenue, Chicago IL 60634.
Major Responsibilities and Key Tasks
- Lead the development of AUSL's long term strategic plan and the translation of the strategic plan into operating plans.
- In collaboration with the ED, provide staff support for the Finance and Strategy Committees of the Board of Directors. Help the Board and the management team to strike the right balance between growth and excellence in student achievement.
- Develop and oversee implementation of solutions to business challenges in addressing the organization's short- and long-term strategic priorities. With the ED, develop and oversee implementation of short- and long-term plans for finance, human resources and central facilities administration that align with the organization's strategic vision, organizational design and strategic plan of record.
- With the team of direct reports, serve as the organization's leaders in guiding finance, human resources, and IT responses to changing programmatic and administrative needs.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Identify, develop and/or oversee implementation of special projects, including participation in internal and external work groups.
- Work closely with key AUSL partners to achieve the organization's goals, including CPS, foundations, universities, and other constituents critical to AUSL's success.
- Identify and Execute Best Practices, Policies and Processes.
- Develop, streamline, implement and sustain best practices, policies and processes that drive efficiency, maximize resources and support a stable and cost-effective operating infrastructure.
- Ensure the organization is benchmarking, evaluating, utilizing and implementing best practice finance, human resources, IT and facilities management systems and infrastructure over time.
- Ensure compliance with all audits, accounting and reporting requirements as set by funders.
- Direct the work of the external consultants/professionals as necessary, especially in the legal and facilities arenas.
- Lead Financial Planning and Operations
- Blend a complex mix of public and private funding streams to meet programmatic needs and funder requirements while maintaining tight fiscal controls.
- Support the work of the Director of Finance in preparing timely financial statements, financial reports, forecasts and information reports for the organization and its subsidiaries as required by the Board of Directors, public and private funders, and management staff.
- Lead the development of the annual budget in partnership with the ED and the Director of Finance. Monitor income and expenditures for all programs and activities, identifying opportunities and challenges while meeting established strategic priorities.
- Lead short- and long-term fiscal planning, including income/expense projections, and cash flow analysis.
- Lead Human Resource Planning and Execution
- Work closely and collaboratively to ensure all human resource solutions support the goal of more effective achievement of program outcomes in the short and long term.
- With the ED and Director of Human Resources, establish and facilitate implementation of the talent strategy and pipeline for the Chicago Teacher Residency teacher training program.
- CPS facilities liaison: Collaborate with CPS Operations departments and principals to specify and ensure CPS support for major facilities projects at AUSL network schools, especially for new turnaround schools.
- A Master's degree in Business Management/Finance or a related field is highly desired.
- Significant, progressive management experience, including running complex operations, multi-site management and staff management.
- Strategic, analytical thinker who can translate and implement strategies into well-defined and operationally efficient practices in a highly collaborative and complex changing environment.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, and manage business systems and processes, including budget development and forecasting.
- Entrepreneurial and results-driven professional with strong project management skills; the ability to multitask and meet deadlines within tight timeframes; and demonstrated adaptability, flexibility and resourcefulness in setting priorities and managing resources in a fast-pace, dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; the ability to communicate and work effectively with many constituents, including senior leadership, staff, partners and Board.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills, including negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated ability to participate with diverse work teams toward a common objective.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and evaluate staff against performance goals.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate infrastructure and systems needs to respond to organizational and programmatic shifts.
How to apply
Go tohttp://auslchicago.org/about/careers, select this position, and complete an online application. AUSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
3400 North Austin Avenue, Chicago, Illinois, 60634, United States