Blueprint Schools Network (Blueprint) is a nonprofit organization based in Massachusetts. Our work with schools around the country has shown that positive change is possible when five core strategies for school improvement are implemented together as a comprehensive package. These strategies include:
- Ensuring every student has an excellent teacher and a school leader committed to their success;
- Setting clear, consistent standards for academic achievement and establishing a school-wide focus on preparing all students for college;
- Increasing instructional time;
- Providing daily, small group tutoring to students using highly qualified and well-trained instructors; and
- Collecting assessment data frequently to monitor each student’s academic progress and tailoring instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
We are currently working with public school districts in Denver, Boston and Saint Louis to plan and implement rigorous turnaround initiatives. We work with 62 schools and serve over 11,000 students. In late January 2014, Commissioner of Elementary and Secondary Education Mitchell D. Chester selected Blueprint to become the receiver for Paul A. Dever (Dever) Elementary School in Boston. As receiver, Blueprint will assume full responsibility for the day-to-day implementation of our five core strategies in order to provide an excellent education to all students who attend.
We are seeking a Managing Director to oversee the planning, launch, implementation, and monitoring of our education programs and strategies at the Dever Elementary School in Boston. The Managing Director will build relationships with state and district stakeholders, oversee and supervise school principal and collaborate with the Blueprint team in order to lead the Dever Elementary School to rapid, dramatic, and sustainable improvement. The Managing Director will serve as the key liaison between ESE, Boston Public School District, and Blueprint. The Managing Director will be based out of the Blueprint National Office in Newton, MA (REQUIRED) and will require regular local travel to Dever Elementary School, located in Boston’s Dorchester neighborhood as well as state and district offices.
Required activities include (but are not limited to):
- Lead school turnaround process and oversee the strategic planning, implementation, and monitoring of Dever Elementary School;
- Oversee and manage school principal;
- Provide coaching, feedback and professional development to school principal and leadership team;
- Partner with school principal on goal setting and performance management;
- Work closely with key stakeholders to monitor school progress and student outcomes;
- Partner with Director of Human Capital and Recruitment Team on strategic hiring of school leadership and staff;
- Lead regular site visits, which include classroom observations and conversations with students, staff, and school leaders;
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data pertaining to the implementation and effectiveness of school progress and present data to key stakeholders;
- Identify potential issues and obstacles and proactively take action to create and implement solutions; and
- Represent Blueprint Schools Network at state and district meetings, Dever community stakeholder meetings, school board meetings, community meetings and conferences.
- At least five (5) years of school leadership and/or district leadership;
- Experience as a principal required;
- Experience leading school start-up / overseeing pre-turnaround planning preferred;
- Three (3) to Five (5) years of prior teaching experience, preferably in an urban setting;
- Experience working in a turnaround school strongly preferred;
- Experience working in a dual-language instruction school preferred but not required;
- Master’s degree in education, public policy, management, or related fields required;
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) candidates preferred;
- Demonstrated success in dramatically improving student achievement;
- Demonstrated experience developing, facilitating and leading in-depth coaching and professional development to school leaders and teachers;
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and present data related to measuring student learning;
- Proven ability to build and develop strong and trusting relationships with a variety of stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to understand the needs of urban school districts and the diversity of their student populations;
- Experience in an entrepreneurial setting; and
- Adept and fluent with technology and proficient with MS Office.
- Commitment to Blueprint’s mission;
- Ability to build and lead teams to achieve ambitious goals;
- Highly organized and thoughtful in approach;
- Analytical and consultative;
- Open and collaborate;
- Able to multi-task and recognize priorities;
- Detail oriented; and
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
POSITION IS BASED IN BOSTON AREA. ONLY LOCAL CANDIDATES AND/OR CANDIDATES AVAILABLE TO RELOCATE TO BOSTON AREA ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY. IF NON-LOCAL CANDIDATE, RELOCATION TO BOSTON AREA IS REQUIRED.
How to apply
To apply for the Managing Director position, please visit http://blueprintschools.theresumator.com/apply to submit a resume, cover letter, salary requirements, and references.
Blueprint Schools Network is an equal opportunity employer.