Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture is a non-profit farm and education center located 25 miles north of Manhattan in Pocantico Hills, New York. Stone Barns operates an 80-acre four-season farm. Through our Growing Farmers Initiative, children’s education programs, and diverse public awareness programs, we aim to improve the way America eats and farms.
Manager ; Soil, Recycling, Compost Operations
Stone Barns Center has an immediate opening for a Manager of Soil, Recycling and Compost Operations. Reporting to the Four Season Farm Director, the Manager is a member of our four season farm team and is responsible for the following:
Oversight of the Nutrient Management/ Composting system including:
Farm & Soil Management
- Oversee nutrient management systems, including collection, processing, packaging and distribution/sales.
- Work with Director of Four Season Farm, Director of Livestock and Executive Director to ensure holistic, overall farm management.
- Identify renewable and sustainable practices (with a goal toward zero waste stream, recycling, carbon sequestration, energy efficiencies and energy generation, biomass management, etc.)
- Responsible for compliance with all applicable NYS laws relating to compost management, processing and sales including Ag and Markets / Weight and Measure laws related to marketing.
- Oversee all testing and accreditation necessary for compost operations.
- Work with Director of Four Season Farm and SBC Facility Manager to provide basic mechanical support for Greenhouse systems including repair and maintenance of structural and mechanical equipment where applicable and other maintenance of farm structures and equipment within Stone Barns Farming Operations.
- The Manager is a member of the four season farm staff and will supervisor no staff. S/he will supervise apprentices who are part of the Center’s educational program, the Growing Farmers Initiative.
Additional Business Management
- Work with Director of Four Season Farm to interface with Stone Barns Center communications, membership, Farm Store, Finance Director and Executive Director to develop sales and marketing strategies.
- Purchase supplies and capital equipment as necessary.
- Collaborate with Blue Hill, the Center’s restaurant partner, to advance recycling and waste management practices and conduct experiments that benefit sustainable agriculture, cooking, and food system change.
- Budgeting: Take lead in finding efficiencies; manage compost department budget.
- Organize and implement workshops.
- Teach / train in Stone Barns Center workshops including youth and professional instruction.
- Conduct Stone Barns Center tours.
- Travel and speak / make presentations externally.
- Keep up-to-date on latest developments and best practices in the field of nutrient management, to continually increase Stone Barns Center’s knowledge base and increase its leadership position in the field of nutrient management. (US Compost Council)
- Develop and maintain relationships with local, national and international experts in the field of nutrient management.
- Understand and effectively communicate the mission of Stone Barns Center.
- Participate as a member of an active educational non-profit. The role of all staff at Stone Barns Center is to advance the mission. Read more at stonebarnscenter.org.
- Commitment to Stone Barns Center mission.
- Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, science or liberal arts.
- Operational knowledge of professional agricultural equipment including tractor loader, skid steer, dump truck and snowplow necessary. Working experience with Trommel Screening Plant and rubber tire loader or related equipment is desirable.
- Strong communications skills.
- Strong business management and sales skills.
Stone Barns Center offers a salary commensurate with experience and comprehensive benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and 401k plans. This is a full time, exempt position with weekend and evening hours as required.
Stone Barns Center is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates from diverse backgrounds
How to apply
Please send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com