WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY
Position Title: Manager of Social Marketing and Community Outreach
Position No.: 150
Reports to: Director of Educational Research and Program Development
Objectives: 1) To develop, execute, and evaluate a clearly defined social marketing and community outreach strategy that supports the mission of WCS, with an emphasis on citizen science activities. 2) To develop and strengthen relationships with local community-based organizations, neighborhoods, school groups and businesses to further education strategic initiatives. 3) To contribute to education research activities within WCS.
• Graduate degree in social marketing, environmental education, educational research, conservation psychology or a related field from an accredited college or university.
• At least three years of experience in community organizing/outreach, citizen science or social marketing.
• Demonstrated understanding of community outreach and citizen science. Knowledge of conservation psychology, behavior change strategies, research methods, wildlife conservation, formal education systems, informal learning, and/or social marketing also desirable.
• Experience in program development and evaluation.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate nuanced, sophisticated concepts to diverse audiences of all educational levels, abilities, and interests.
• Excellent project management skills, including the ability to manage several large initiatives simultaneously.
• Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with a variety of constituents, including volunteers, co-workers, clients and local communities.
• Ability to bring care, organization, tact, and attention to detail to every project.
• Excellent interpersonal skills.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to understand written and oral instructions.
• Available to work with a flexible schedule that may include evenings, weekends, and holidays.
• Valid driver’s license with good driving record.
Community Outreach and Social Marketing
• Develop, execute, and evaluate a community outreach and engagement strategy for WCS Education.
• Identify, cultivate, and manage relationships with key community-based organizations to promote programs and garner press coverage where appropriate.
• Train personnel and volunteers to carry out effective public education and outreach activities. Assign and direct the activities of assigned part-time employees and volunteers.
• Actively engage in discussions and planning sessions with community partners to further zoo strategic initiatives such as connecting children with nature, engaging diverse audiences, providing opportunities for STEM learning, and developing conservation leaders.
• Support and expand programs that integrate technology and outdoor experiences into informal civic engagement projects and school-based education.
• Establish and maintain a database of community and school outreach contacts and other related information.
• Monitor and analyze partnership data, providing regular reports to supervisor and other WCS Education staff. Revise and refine the social marketing and community outreach strategy accordingly.
• Work with Manager of Digital Learning and Engagement and WCS Media Services to create opportunities for digital engagement linked to social marketing campaigns and community events.
• Prepare and present promotional programs to encourage civic, professional, education, and other groups to participate in Education programs and activities.
• Develop, coordinate, and evaluate outreach activities and interpretive materials designed to increase awareness and understanding of WCS’s mission and goals.
• Coordinate and expand citizen science activities within WCS Education.
• Work with WCS Education and Science staff, as appropriate, on the design of new citizen science initiatives.
• Work with local and national partners, as appropriate, to integrate WCS citizen science activities with larger efforts.
• With support from the Director of Educational Research and Program Development, seek funding for WCS Education citizen science activities.
• With support from the Director of Educational Research and Program Development, design and conduct research to identify strategies that promote pro-environmental behavior, connection to nature, and conservation awareness and action.
• Publish research in relevant journals.
• Present research findings at relevant conferences.
• Participate in continuing education opportunities and attend WCS scientist talks.
• When required, travel to promote programs.
• Contribute to, enlarge, and uphold the Society's policies toward Equal Employment Opportunities for women, minorities, veterans, the disabled and other protected groups.
• Perform other related tasks and duties as assigned.
2300 Southern Blvd.
Bronx, New York 10460