Room to Read seeks to transform the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education. Working in collaboration with local communities, partner organizations and governments, we develop literacy skills and a habit of reading among primary school children, and support girls to complete secondary school with the relevant life skills to succeed in school and beyond.
We are non-governmental, non-religious and work with many local NGOs and community based organizations to implement our programs. We currently work in Bangladesh, Cambodia, India, Laos, Nepal, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Vietnam, and Zambia – countries with a desperate lack of resources to educate their children. Since our inception, Room to Read's worldwide team has impacted over 7.8 million children by constructing more than 1,700 schools, establishing over 16,000 libraries, publishing 882 new children's book titles in 27 local languages, and reaching over 25,000 girls through our Girls' Education program.
Room to Read has an annual budget of approximately US$43.7 million and our global staff numbers over 600. Our global headquarters is located in San Francisco, and we have smaller fundraising offices in Delhi, New York, Hong Kong, London, Mumbai, Sydney, and Tokyo. We have an Asia Regional Office located in New Delhi and program offices in Colombo, Dar es Salaam, Dhaka, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Kathmandu, Lusaka, New Delhi, Pretoria, Phnom Penh, and Vientiane.
The Manager, Global Business Development, Corporations and Foundation will play an integral role in helping Room to Read meet its annual goal of raising approximately $15 million from corporate and foundation donors as well as $5 million in gifts-in-kind (GINKI) from major corporations through cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of relationships on the East Coast of North America. The position is based in New York City, and reports to the Senior Manager, Global Business Development, Corporations and Foundations, based in San Francisco, and will include work with development staff in North America and Room to Read's international offices. We are looking for a dynamic, motivated, team player who is committed to our cause and has a track record of delivering results.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Financial Goals and Business Development
- Raise at least $2 million per year from companies and foundations giving primarily $100,000 or more each year.
- Lead business development on the East Coast of North America including the Tri-State Area and Eastern Canada.
- Manage and steward existing foundation and corporate donors (both domestic and multinational companies)
- Lead corporate and foundation fundraising growth in emerging markets to be decided on an annual basis.
- Coordinate with international office staff to support corporate and foundation relationships globally.
- Represent Room to Read by speaking at conferences and attending fundraising events and donor cultivation meetings.
- Participate in the Corporate and Foundation (CF) Resource Group to collaborate with other CF relationship managers globally.
- Contribute to global business development strategy across all markets.
- Independently, or in collaboration with the Donor Communications team, write, edit and/or coordinate clear, compelling written materials including concept papers, letters of inquiry, general correspondence, proposals, fact sheets, presentations, reports, meeting briefs and additional materials as needed.
- Work closely with Finance Department to ensure budgets and financial reports are appropriately represented.
- Work closely with the Programs team to craft innovative, unique funding proposals when required by the donor.
- Stay current with organizational strategies and operational plans in order to present accurate funding opportunities to donors.
- Maintain current donor records in Raiser's Edge and Salesforce
- Other duties as necessary
- Bachelors degree
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant work experience (nonprofit or client relationship management)
- Proven track record of obtaining corporate and foundation funding in the $100,000 to $250,000 gift range
- Excellent writing, editing, verbal and written communication skills in English
- Basic competence in financial analysis (e.g. reviewing budgets, organizational financial reports, etc.)
- Cross-cultural communications skills; success building relationships across departments and offices with diverse groups of people
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented global or regional organization
- Legally eligible to work in the United States; no sponsorship provided
- Having an existing network of relevant corporate and foundation relationships that you can introduce to Room to Read
To be successful as a member of the Room to Read team, you will also:
- Have a passion for our mission and a strong desire to impact a dynamic nonprofit organization
- Be an innovative and creative thinker; you're not afraid to try something new and inspire others to do so
- Have a very high level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Have a strong work ethic and require minimal direction
- Work well independently as well as part of a team
- Thrive in a fast-paced and fun environment
Room to Read offers a competitive salary with excellent benefits. Benefits include health, dental, vision, long-term disability insurance, life insurance, commuter benefits and a 401K match. The non-monetary compensation includes a unique opportunity to be part of an innovative, meaningful, fun, and rapidly growing organization that is changing transforming the lives of millions of children in developing countries by focusing on literacy and gender equality in education.
How to apply
Please send a cover letter and resume by email, with "Manager, GBD & CF - ID" in the subject line, (no letters, calls, faxes, or drop-ins) to email@example.com. Due to high applicant volume, we regret that we are not able to send personalized responses to all applicants. Applications are accepted until the position is filled.
200 Park Avenue, 29th Floor, New York, NY, 10166, US