Reading Partners is a nonprofit literacy organization that recruits and trains community volunteers to provide one-on-one reading tutoring to students in under-resourced schools across the country. Our highly-effective program has helped thousands of children master the fundamental reading skills they need to succeed in school and beyond. For more information, please visit www.readingpartners.org
AmeriCorps is an 11 month service commitment that meets a community's critical needs in education, public safety, health, and the environment. Reading Partners partners with AmeriCorps to provide full-time service opportunities in our programs across the United States, supporting communities' critical needs in education. Reading Partners AmeriCorps members dedicate 1700 hours of volunteer service per term in exchange for leadership and career development, and a living stipend provided by our AmeriCorps grant. AmeriCorps is an exciting opportunity for service-minded individuals who are passionate about education and the nonprofit sector.
The AmeriCorps Site Coordinator leads the day-to-day operations of Reading Partners school sites for a full 11-month service term (August - June). Site Coordinators are placed in partner schools where they oversee the full-time operations of a Reading Partners reading center. This includes student assessments, tutoring, and coordination of an average of 35-80 volunteer tutors.
The Site Coordinator is also responsible for cultivating positive relationships between Reading Partners and the school community. Site Coordinators receive ongoing instruction and coaching from Reading Partners staff and report to and work with a Program Manager, a staff member with a strong educational background, who provides direct instruction and coaching.
The Reading Partners program operates from 9am-5pm, Monday - Friday. AmeriCorps members frequently participate in professional development trainings and team volunteer activities.
- Site Coordinators report to and collaborate with a Program Manager.
- Site Coordinators collaborate regularly with their regional Reading Partners AmeriCorps team.
- Site Coordinators support an average of 35-80 volunteer tutors, and will foster relationships with school staff and administration.
- Site Coordinators receive guidance and support from regional staff, including the Executive Director.
- Site Coordinators are part of a national AmeriCorps team at Reading Partners, and communicate with national AmeriCorps and HR/Talent staff.
AmeriCorps Member Commitment
- Commitment to serve a minimum of 1700 hours over an 11 month term
- Participation in a minimum of three (3) National Days of Service
- Participation in ongoing training, meetings, and professional development with regional Reading Partners team
- Coordinate a curriculum-focused, 1:1 tutoring program for an average of 40-80 struggling readers in grades K-5
- Ensure that all students receiving support through Reading Partners are making gains in their reading abilities
- Implement Reading Partners' program and curriculum to address students' learning needs
- Organize and set-up Reading Center to create an optimal learning environment
- Manage reading center schedule and enrollment process, including matching of student/tutor pairs, monitoring attendance, and overseeing student referral and assessment process
- Maintain student information systems and student/tutor records
- Ongoing tutoring based on school site needs
- Maintain a commitment to understanding the Reading Partners curriculum, program model, and current literacy best practices
- Support tutors during sessions by providing formal and informal feedback
- Conference with tutors and teachers to maximize student achievement
- Train and support community volunteers in their role as reading tutors; help to create a welcoming environment and positive experience for volunteers
- Facilitate communication and maintain positive relationships between Reading Partners, teachers, students' families, and community partners
- Participate in school events, celebrations, and staff meetings
- Dedication to national and community service
- Commitment to Reading Partners' mission and vision
- Interest in working with elementary school-age children
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to manage tasks and schedule independently
- Demonstrated success with constituent relations skills (volunteers, teachers, parents)
- Flexibility and adaptability to manage a fluid and ambiguous schedule
- Access to reliable transportation (public transportation or personal transport) to travel within a defined geographic region
- At least 17 years of age and a US Citizenship or Permanent Resident status
- Experience in volunteering or volunteer management
- Experience in literacy education with K-5 students
- Experience working with diverse communities and constituents
- Bachelor's degree preferred
Reading Partners is currently recruiting Site Coordinators in the Tulsa region for the 2014-15 program year. Terms begin in August 2014 and end in June 2015.
At the start of each program year, Reading Partners holds Program Orientation training for all regions; some travel may be required for this orientation period. Site Coordinators will also be responsible for transportation to and from their school site, as well as occasional trips to offices, school sites, or National Day of Service events.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL & MENTAL DEMANDS
Requires prolonged sitting with some bending, stooping and stretching; eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, telephone, photocopier, calculator and other office equipment. Requires normal range of hearing and eyesight to communicate with volunteers as well as maintain Reading Center records. Also requires flexibility to readily adapt to a changing environment.
This position is part of the AmeriCorps service program. As an AmeriCorps member, you will serve your community through Reading Partners and receive a modest living stipend of $14,500 during your term, as well as full health, dental, and vision benefits.
Additionally, at the successful completion of your service term, you are eligible for an education award of approximately $5,645, to be used for college, trade school or other educational expenses, including qualified federal loans. During your service in AmeriCorps, you may also be eligible for forbearance on outstanding federal student loans. AmeriCorps also assists with childcare expenses, if eligible. For more information, please visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps.
Reading Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer, with a strong commitment to diversity in the workplace.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. Position will remain posted until filled. No phone inquiries.
How to apply
If you feel you are a strong fit for this position, please submit
- a cover letter clearly stating why you would be successful in this position, and your answers to the AmeriCorps eligibility questions below (please copy/paste)
- your resume
In order to meet AmeriCorps eligibility requirements, please certify the following statements at the end of your cover letter. Please copy and paste the full questions and provide your responses.Applications must have these certifications to be processed.
1. Have you ever been convicted of a criminal offense (felony or serious misdemeanor)? You mustreport ALL convictions. If a conviction is present and you answered "no" to this question, you may become ineligible for the position.
1. If yes, state nature of the crime(s), when and where convicted, and disposition of the case.
2. In connection with my service to the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program, I hereby authorize the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program to conduct a criminal background check on my behalf. I understand that this check will cover a search of law enforcement and court records and a check of the National Sex Offender Public Registry. I understand that my ability to serve as a Reading Partners AmeriCorps Member is contingent upon the results of the background check. I understand that failure on my part to consent to the review will result in the cancellation of my enrollment in the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program. Results are confidential, but may be shared with the Program/Outreach Manager if necessary. The member is entitled to receive and review the information obtained, upon written request. I certify that statements made by me on this form and in my enrollment paperwork are true, complete, and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief, and are made in good faith. I understand that any false statements made herein could void my eligibility to serve with the Reading Partners AmeriCorps Program.
1. I hereby authorize Reading Partners to thoroughly investigate the information on my application, my references, work record, education and other matters related to my eligibility for employment and, further, authorize the references I have listed to disclose to the Reading Partners all letters, reports and other information related to my work records, without giving me prior notice of such disclosure
How many AmeriCorps programs have you previously enrolled in? Include any terms which you started but did not complete.
601 South Boulder Ave., #1000, Tulsa, OK, 74119, US