Reports to: Director, Youth Education Services
Position entails an 18 hour work week. Applicants must be available 9:30am-1:30pm Monday – Thursday.
Overview: New York City Justice Corps is a project to reconnect previously court-involved young people, 18-24, with their community through case management, education, community benefit projects, internships, and other activities during a six-month intensive services period, followed by six months of aftercare. The goal of the program is to provide participants in CD 12 with the skills, motivation, and connections they need to meet their long-term education and career goals and avoid future justice system involvement. The teacher supports this goal by providing high-quality academic instruction at the pre-GED or GED level as well as tutoring and education referrals. This part-time position entails an 18-hour/week commitment and is located in Jamaica, Queens.
- Provide a comfortable and supportive learning environment for students in Pre-GED and GED classes, using the balanced literacy model to support students with literacy needs;
- Under the guidance of CASES Director of Youth Education Services, develop units of level-appropriate instruction that also complement the interests and experiences of CD 12 students and their community;
- Work with CASES' teachers in other programs to develop and share curricula and ensure that lesson plans reflect common standards for CASES' programming, including Equipped for the Future standards for basic math, literacy, and reasoning skills required to succeed in entry-level employment;
- Integrate outside resources into in-house activities, including guest speakers, field trips, college visits, and collaboration with other agencies on mutually designed projects;
- Maintain accurate and timely records of classes, referrals, and individual appointments, documenting work through appointment verification and regular progress notes;
- Provide Test of Adult Basic Education assessments to students at baseline, 3 months and 6 months; and ensure students are connected to quarterly GED predictor and GED testing opportunities as needed;
- Providing small group educational tutoring to participants reflective of their educational goals, challenges and progress;
- Work as part of a service team that includes case coordinators, worksite supervisors a job developer, youth resource specialist, and social worker to connect participants to off-site services that will promote positive educational outcomes; and
- Collaborate with Post-Secondary Initiative staff to connect eligible/interested students to CASES' program for college-bound youth and work with case coordinators and community providers to ensure that students and graduates enter and persist in educational programming according to their skill levels and interests.
- Minimum of BA/BS degree, Masters in Education preferred;
- At least three years teaching experience, including experience teaching previously disconnected youth or young adults;
- Demonstrated ability to engage and motivate students who have experienced significant disruptions to classroom-based learning;
- Experience with developing innovative lesson plans and familiar with a balanced literacy approach;
- Experience/training in administration of education level assessments, including TABE and Qualitative Reading Inventory strongly preferred;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse young people and staff;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
CASES is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with CASES is based solely on qualifications and competence for a particular position, without regard to race, color, ethnic or national origin, age, religion, creed, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or marital, military, or citizenship status. We also actively recruit individuals with prior involvement in the criminal justice system.
How to apply
E-mail cover letter and resume with salary history and requirements in Rich Text Format (RTF) or Word 2002 format email@example.com. Please list the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls please. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted.
346 Broadway 3rd Floor West, New York, New York, 10013, United States