Our faculty plays an essential role in establishing Unity as a model educational institution. Most critically, faculty members equip students with the knowledge and skills needed – including the desire and capacity to learn independently, think critically, and communicate proficiently – in order to experience secondary and postsecondary success. Unity's learning specialists are charged with supporting general education teachers to develop in students with special needs sound, foundational skills and a strong knowledge base in the liberal arts and sciences. They also foster students' confidence in and appreciation for their abilities to engage in the advanced study of each area by providing opportunities for students to act as young scholars and professionals in applying the skills and knowledge they develop to authentic, real-world applications. In addition to their integrated co-teaching responsibilities in which they determine and provide appropriate accommodations and modifications and ensure compliance with each student's individualized education program, Unity learning specialists also work to develop students' non-academic skills and interests as both an Advisor of 12-15 students throughout their time at Unity and as "Captain" of one of the school's after-school elective clubs.
- A proven track record of promoting student learning in the classroom; at least two years of experience in classroom teaching experience with students with special needs preferred
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and trends impacting inclusion programs including: organization, planning, and program evaluation strategies; techniques and procedures regarding curriculum and instruction design and delivery systems for both special education and core curriculum; human relationships, conflict resolution strategies and procedures; and team building methods and techniques
- Strong understanding of special education laws and requirements as demonstrated by an undergraduate or advanced degree in her/his respective discipline; appropriate state certification as a special education teacher along with any other required credentials
- Demonstrably strong organizational and classroom/course management skills
- Expertise in working with diverse populations of students and families, and in differentiating instruction to fully support the needs of diverse learners
- An acumen for actively engaging students in her/his own learning, academically and non-academically
- A demonstrated openness and responsiveness to constructive feedback and a strong commitment to continuous improvement and professional growth
- Strong written and oral communication skills and experience working collaboratively in team settings
- Approaches the profession with maturity, humility, versatility (i.e., embraces the ambiguity and excitement associated with start-ups), a solutions-mindedness with a strong work ethic, and, of course, a sense of humor
How to apply
If you seek to contribute meaningfully to the development and successful operation of an innovative public school with a strong team of talented educators, please visit http://www.unityprep.org/careers/to submit a cover letter and resume and begin the application process.
432 Monroe Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11221, US