The Land Trust of Napa County is a community-based nonprofit dedicated to preserving the character of Napa County by permanently protecting land. In its 37-year history, LTNC has completed over 150 projects and protected more than 53,000 acres.
The Lands Program Assistant is an entry-level position within LTNC’s Lands Department, designed to assist in on-going general stewardship and land protection activities within the organization. The Lands Program Assistant works within all aspects of the department, including: preserve stewardship (60%); field trips, outreach and public access (25%); and protected lands monitoring (15%).The Lands Program Assistant also works on general volunteer coordination within the specific programs.
The Lands Program Assistant reports jointly to the Lands Stewardship Manager and the Lands Project Manager based on program function. The Lands Program Assistant works as part of the Lands Department team, including the Chief Executive Officer and staff attorney. This position coordinates seasonal and regular volunteers for various Land Trust activities.
– Assist the Land Stewardship Manager with activities on nine preserves (6,700 acres) owned by the Land Trust, including ecological restoration, biological resources assessment and monitoring, invasive species control, trail maintenance and installation, public access, environmental education, facility maintenance, etc.
– Assist with annual compliance monitoring program covering 28,000 acres of conservation easement and fee-owned properties, including coordination of volunteer monitors.
– Lead and coordinate annual field trip program, with an average 40 hikes annually, including recruitment and training of volunteer hike leaders.
– Serve as point of contact for recreational public access on the permanent preserves.
– Serve as point of contact for outreach and educational materials for all protected lands activities, including stewardship, monitoring and land protection, for the Lands Department.
– Assist with development and tracking of annual preserve budgets and work plans.
– Carry out general administrative duties, such as tracking grants and budgets, responding to inquiries, and attending staff meetings.
Physical Demands: Lift and maneuver materials and equipment weighing up to 50 pounds. Access remote areas of protected lands involving off-trail hiking over strenuous terrain and through dense vegetation.
Work Environment: In addition to working within an office environment, this position requires work outside in variable weather conditions and exposure to natural elements (e.g. poison oak, ticks, etc.).
– Bachelor’s degree in natural resources, restoration ecology, environmental or biological sciences and 1-3 years demonstrated, successful work experience in field.
– Outstanding people skills and an ability to work with a variety of constituents, including donors, volunteers, researchers, caretakers, contractors and outdoor recreationalists. We strive to maintain strong relationships with our constituencies, but must be prepared to make difficult decisions to uphold our organizational stewardship goals.
– Strong project management, communication, and record-keeping skills, including ability to write and communicate verbally
– Excellent skills coordinating and training volunteer groups.
– Demonstrated proficiency with map orientation and interpretation, GIS mapping and data management, GPS and field marking and associated software applications.
– Demonstrated knowledge of natural history (specifically natural communities) of northern California, or a strong willingness and ability to learn.
– Familiarity with invasive species management and native plant restoration.
– Willingness to attend evening and weekend meetings with volunteers.
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively, under general supervision of the Land Stewardship Manager and the Lands Project Manager.
– Excellent attention to detail. Ability to organize and archive important files and documentation.
Salary commensurate with experience. Full benefits for employee; retirement plan.
To apply, please send a letter and résumé to: email@example.com. Please reference Land2013 in your Subject line.
No phone calls, please.