Save Mount Diablo
1901 Olympic Blvd, Suite 320, Walnut Creek, CA 94596
Job Description: Land Use Planner
Founded in 1971, Save Mount Diablo, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt, California non-profit corporation, acquires and preserves land on and around Mount Diablo.
- This is a professional level, exempt position that reports to the Senior Land Programs Manager, requiring advanced knowledge of land use planning, public policy and grassroots advocacy. There is an expectation of regular evening and weekend meetings and events.
Under the general supervision of the Senior Land Programs Manager, and in coordination with the Land Programs Director and other staff members, the Land Use Planner is responsible for:
- Land use project research, analysis, review and interpretation, and developing strategy, land campaigns and other responses to development proposals, including document and report creation, EIR comment letters and legislative digests.
- Agency agenda tracking, project research and review, and analysis.
- Representing SMD at community meeting, planning commissions, city councils and Board of supervisors; making persuasive public comment and presentations.
- Taking leadership roles in environmental policy, grass roots advocacy and proactive campaigns, including ballot campaigns.
- Assisting with implementation of elected official, planning agency outreach and land owner education programs, including constituent hikes and site visits.
- Preparation of photo, map and other graphic materials for reports and presentations.
- As a member of the Land Department, support stewardship of SMD properties through the creation of resource management plans, record keeping and contracting.
- Support land transactions through research and document retention.
- Assisting with a variety of Land Department and Land Committee projects as needed.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Outreach: The Land Conservation Associate II works in interdepartmental teams to market SMD’s goals and participates in public relations and community outreach programs.
- Fund Development. The Land Conservation Associate II works in interdepartmental teams to assist with funding proposal content and the implementation of fundraising events and programs.
- Program Development. The Land Conservation Associate II collaborates with all staff on programs to support SMD’s mission.
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have the following experience and qualifications:
- A minimum of three years of experience in land use planning; familiarity with laws related to planning including knowledge of CEQA, ESA and other regulations
- Environmental and public policy, grassroots advocacy and coalition building
- Strong public speaking skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Planning, or Land Use, or related field; Master’s degree a plus
- Proven high level of competency in research and writing
- Some experience in land preservation techniques, land acquisition, land transactions, environmental assessments and other resource evaluations.
- Computer proficiency: Word, Excel, Adobe Photoshop, Google Earth
- Ability to be accurate and detailed in accomplishing daily tasks
- Ability to effectively relate to volunteers, program participants, and the general public
- Outgoing personality & sense of humor
- Appreciation of environmental issues
- Appreciation of outdoor recreational activities
- Ability to work independently
- Possess valid California drivers license
- Daily access to a motor vehicle
- Expectation of regular evening and weekend meetings and events
- Ability to hike, occasionally on rugged terrain
- Ability to lift, carry/move small boxes, furniture, equipment and supplies at least 25 lbs.
Salary: Dependent upon experience
Benefits Include: Health, dental, retirement
To Apply: Email cover letter, resume, writing sample, salary history and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please specify “Land Use Planner [Last Name]” in the email subject line.
1901 Olympic Blvd, Suite 320, Walnut Creek, California, 94596, United States