Who we are.
KIPP is a national network of free, open-enrollment, college-preparatory public schools with a track record of preparing students in underserved communities for success in college and in life. There are currently 141 KIPP schools in 20 states and the District of Columbia serving over 50,000 students.
What we do.
KIPP builds a partnership among families, students, and teachers that puts learning first. By providing outstanding educators, more time in school learning, and a strong culture of achievement, KIPP is helping all students climb the mountain to and through college.
Why it matters.
Every day, KIPP students across the nation are proving that demographics do not define destiny. More than 86 percent of our students are from low-income families and eligible for the federal free or reduced-price meals program, and 95 percent are African American or Latino. Nationally, more than 90 percent of KIPP middle school completers have graduated high school, and more than 80 percent of KIPP alumni have gone on to college.
Are you someone with senior level finance experience (ideally with a charter management organization (CMO))who is ready to use your expertise to support the quality and sustainable growth of the largest, national network of public charter schools?
Currently, KIPP has 141 schools governed by 31 separate, local boards. Given the rapid scaling and regionalization of the KIPP network (in the next four years, we will increase to 200 schools), we need you to help us identify, promote and scale the talent, systems, and processes that support our students We currently serve 50,000 students and expect to serve more than 60,000 by the fall of 2015. The KIPP Finance & Portfolio Management Director will lead the overall strategy and execution for all financial management support, serving as the Foundation's subject matter expert in charter management organization (CMO) finance and working across our 31 regions.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Network Finance and Operations and works closely with network leaders, KIPP Foundation Relationship Managers (Regional Directors) and other Foundation team mates, will develop and execute a strategy to increase the financial management and financial planning and analysis ("FP&A") capabilities of the KIPP network through programming, development of frameworks or tools and targeted consulting. The Director will design and deliver professional development programming and actionable resources, including the collection, analysis and dissemination of network financial data for benchmarking and insights to inform the quality and sustainable growth of KIPP sites ; success will be measured by adoption and implementation of resources and best practices.
To directly support the financial sustainability of KIPP schools and regions, this individual will also market and manage the portfolio of KIPP Foundation financing products which includes real-estate guaranties, school start-up loans, and strategic financing. He/she will also build an understanding of the CMO financing landscape to support regions with engaging other funders (e.g. Charter School Growth Fund). The Director will project manage the due diligence and underwriting process, working with network staff and consultants as appropriate, and present recommended loan and credit enhancement transactions to KIPP Foundation's Credit Committee. This is a great opportunity to impact the work of KIPP leaders and staff, who are serving over 41,000 students.
The position can be located in New York, Washington, DC, (these are the preferred locations), San Francisco, or Chicago.
Charter Management Organization Finance Expert
- Lead capacity building efforts in all areas of charter school finance, working with network finance leaders and KIPP Foundation regional directors to deliver supports that increase the talent capacity and FP&A capabilities of KIPP sites
- Partner with network and Foundation colleagues to design and deliver professional development programming (e.g. retreats, webinars) and promote sharing and collaboration among finance leaders
- Prioritize, collect and analyze network financial data in order to help develop actionable insights that inform the quality and sustainable growth of KIPP regions.
- Provide direct advisory support to KIPP finance leaders on the design, structure and staffing of finance functions and the areas that directly support data-driven financial management: planning budgeting, modeling, reporting, accounting, and systems.
- Collaborate in the creation of frameworks and tools to gain insights and develop strategies to manage financial health, enabling regions to deliver support services to schools more efficiently and effectively.
- Partner deeply with a subset of sites to provide direct support to continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of financial management and extract and codify learnings for the benefit of the broader network
- Manage the work of outside consultants to scale supports beyond what can be supported through internal resources
- Provide counsel and support on network financial transactions along with developing and managing loan programs administered by the KIPP Foundation through national partnerships; serving as a resource to the KIPP Foundation Credit Committee.
- Market the portfolio of loans and credit enhancements the KIPP Foundation provides to KIPP regions and schools.
- Develop lending and underwriting criteria, coordinating and performing due diligence, and managing deal-flow demand in partnership with Foundation Regional Directors
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 7 years of relevant professional experience. Direct experience within a CMO finance function and some consulting experience preferred
- Experience having built a finance function including staffing, policies, processes, and systems to elevate the financial planning and analysis acumen of an organization
- Strong financial and analytical acumen, with the ability to build financial models, analyses and present results in creative practical ways that improve organizational decision making
- Strong project management skills with the demonstrated ability to manage multiple, on-going projects simultaneously
- Experience structuring financial transactions, conducting due diligence, and underwriting financial risk
- Relationship management skills and credibility rooted in experience to effectively counsel, coach and mentor senior finance leaders, executive directors, and board members
- Specific experience designing, implementing, and leading training & professional development programming for a range of audiences
- Track record of exemplary performance in a team-based environment with multiple stakeholders and in roles that required: analytic and problem-solving skills in face of ambiguity; creativity; achieving results while operating within dynamic, fast-paced environment
- BA required, Master's degree preferred
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, including advanced presentation and public speaking skills
- Evidence of flexibility and resiliency in times of change
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A willingness and ability to travel (30%) to our distributed network of 31 regions and schools
- Models KIPP's values at all times
Sense of purpose. We are inspired to fulfill a mission larger than ourselves. We are a place for people who enjoy the roles we play in service to our schools and regions.
Results. We work hard to deliver supports and services that are truly valuable to our schools and regions and the kids they serve. We are resilient, persisting through obstacles and collaborating across teams in pursuit of solutions.
Respect. We appreciate all who are engaged in this challenging work and treat others as we would like to be treated.
Constant learning and humility. We seek out and expect regular, constructive feedback, keeping in mind the limitations of our own experience. We recognize that compelling research, data, and personal experience offers us the opportunity to change our practices to best serve our children.
Diversity and inclusivity. We are building an organization in which talented individuals from all walks of life and past work experiences can join our team and make significant contributions. We are particularly committed to attracting and developing individuals who share the life experiences or racial backgrounds of our students.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Compensation will be commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401K plan, and a significant paid time-off package.
All interested applicants should submit a detailed cover letter and resume at: www.kipp.org/careers.