For a more than a decade, our students and staff of KIPP Gaston College Preparatory have been fighting for educational equality in northeastern North Carolina. Beginning with just one class of fifth graders in 2001, we expanded in 2005 to include a high school, and continued that expansion last fall with the addition of our primary school. Our 900 students will eventually expand to a K-12 campus serving over 1200 students. In addition, this fall we will be opening our second middle school, KIPP Halifax College Preparatory, with our founding class of fifth graders. With our recent expansion, we have formed a region of schools KIPP ENC (Eastern North Carolina) which supports all of the KIPP schools in our region.
As public schools of choice, KIPP ENC students and their families make the choice to commit to extended hours, higher expectations and a more rigorous college-preparatory education. We believe that through hard work, commitment and passion, all of our students will be empowered with the skills, habits and knowledge necessary to succeed at the colleges of their choice, strengthen our community and fight for social justice.
Since 2009, 100% of KIPP Gaston seniors have been accepted to a four-year college and more than 85% will be the first in their family to earn a Bachelor's Degree. In 2011, KIPP Gaston earned the distinction of being a NC Honor School of Excellence and since 2011 has been recognized as "One of America's Best High Schools" by the Washington Post. While we are extremely proud of our students, we know that our schools' ultimate success will be measured by the accomplishments of our alumni in college and throughout their lives.
Last spring we began to witness the college graduations of our founding class of students as they earned their college degrees. We are extremely proud that five of those recent college graduates made the decision to return to our campus as teachers. While they have already demonstrated the power of a high-quality education, together with educators from across our nation, they are continuing to prove that demography does not determine the destiny.
As we continue to ensure that all of our students are successful in college and most importantly life, our most important task is finding extraordinary teachers who believe in our mission and share our beliefs about all students. Who are these extraordinary teachers? We are looking for passionate educators who are hungry for constant feedback and will do whatever it takes for our students to learn.
This quest to find extraordinary teachers is our top priority. It is the expertise and love of excellent educators that transform a school into a true learning community. If you are committed to our mission and fighting the educational injustices in our country, we invite you to continue in our application process. We are excited to learn more about you as we search for amazing teachers who will help our region continue to grow and improve, thus changing the trajectory of individual students and in doing so strengthen our shared community.
KIPP ENC is currently recruiting amazing primary, middle and high school teachers for the 2014-15 school year. We are seeking candidates committed to KIPP ENC's mission of empowering all of our students with the skills, knowledge, and character necessary to succeed at the college of their choice, strengthen our community, and fight for social justice.
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
- Assess student learning and uses assessment data to drive instructional choices
- Implement school-wide student management policies within classrooms and on campus
- Infuse KIPP ENC's core values into daily lessons
- Provide necessary accommodations and modifications for the growth and success of all students
- Communicate regularly with parents regarding each students' academic progress
- Maintain an open-door policy for observations
- Maintain an organized and focused learning environment
- Uphold all school policies within the classroom
- Work as part of interdisciplinary team to collaborative regularly
- Respond to feedback from formal and informal evaluations by peers and the principal
- Receive and respond appropriately to feedback from students, parents and teammates
- View feedback as a tool to improve and grow in all teacher responsibilities, and use it in this capacity
- Actively pursue own professional development in areas that will have the greatest impact on student achievement
- Participate in school-wide professional development
- Experience and success with historically under-served populations of students
- 2 years teaching experience (preferred);
- Strong desire to teach an academically intense curriculum and commit to an extended school day, week, and year
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy that every minute of every day is learning time by preparing and executing engaging lessons
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to help our students reach a level of academic excellence
- Unquestioned integrity and commitment to KIPP ENC's mission and community
- Bachelor's degree (required); Master's Degree a plus
How to apply
Please send a resume and cover letter detailing the specific position that you are interested in (gradel level and subject) to email@example.com.
320 Pleasant Hill Road, Gaston, NC, 27870, US