The National Environmental Education Foundation (NEEF), a national leader in building public environmental literacy, is seeking an intern beginning in May of 2013 in Washington, D.C. The Public Lands Every Day program encourages more Americans to enjoy, protect and maintain our public lands every day through public engagement, professional development and partnerships. The internship will focus on assisting program staff in the coordination of grants and partnership outreach. In addition, the intern will assist staff with the coordination and management of National Public Lands Day, the nation's largest one-day volunteer event for public lands. This position will be responsible for researching and communicating with potential site managers for National Public Lands Day 2013, assisting with contests and grants and performing day-to-day operating tasks. Please go to www.publiclandsday.org and www.publiclandseveryday.org for more information about these programs.
The Public Lands Every Day program offers the opportunity to gain practical knowledge about working with public agencies, the media and not-for-profit organizations.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background and interest in environmental science/education, resource management or is currently pursuing a degree in a related field.
- Excellent research and written and verbal communication skills.
- A strong interest in nature and outdoor/environmental education.
- A working knowledge of public lands and the agencies that manage them.
- Familiarity with most major new media tools and direct experience as an active user on multiple outlets (e.g. Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, etc.).
- Experience with Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite and website/basic HTML a plus.
- Ability to work independently and in collaboration with our small program team.
- Good sense of humor.
Dates of Employment: May through October 2013. This is a paid position and the work schedule will be 40 hours per week. Preference will be given to those who will be based in the Washington, D.C. area for the fall. This internship could be used toward course study or credits towards program, contingent on approval by NEEF and the college or university.
How to apply
To apply: Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Intern-Public Lands Program in the subject line. No phone calls, please.