Start Date: Immediate
Location: Brooklyn, NY
About Achievement First:
Achievement First is a non-profit charter school management organization that is creating a network of achievement-gap-closing public schools in Rhode Island, New York, Connecticut and other high-need areas in the Northeast. Achievement First currently operates 25 schools in Providence, Brooklyn, New Haven, Bridgeport and Hartford. Over 90% of our students are Black and Latino. Over the next five years, Achievement First plans to open 10-15 additional schools, spanning the full K-12 spectrum and creating college-prep opportunities for more than 12,000 students. Beyond our students and schools, Achievement First is an engaged and prominent partner in the larger conversation about how to improve public education and student achievement in our country. For more information about the Achievement First mission, approach, our schools and team, please visit our website at www.achievementfirst.org.
About the Teacher-in-Residence Program:
The teacher-in-residence program is an amazing opportunity for recent top college graduates, with little or no teaching experience, who want to explore a career in education. Teachers-in-Residence are exposed to best practices in education reform, gain hands-on experience in the classroom assisting teachers and learn about the administration of a "no excuses" charter school. Throughout the year, teachers-in-residence will take on more responsibility, both inside and outside of the classroom. By the end of the year, teachers-in-residence are well positioned to be very strong candidates for full-time teaching positions, or other positions in education, or graduate studies in education.
Responsibilities of Achievement First Teachers-in-Residence:
- Cover all classes as substitute teacher
- Ensure academic achievement and student character development
- Support lead teachers in one or more subject with grading, preparation of class materials and classroom management
- Assist the lead homeroom teacher in running a structured homeroom in the morning and serve as an advisor to 5-10 students
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment with a high "joy-factor" so that students are excited about and invested in their academic excellence
- Support individual students through one-on-one tutoring or small group instruction and by taking on more teaching responsibility throughout the year as appropriate
- Provide teacher assistance such as planning field trips, correcting final exams or proctoring standardized tests
- Set and hold students to extremely high academic and behavioral standards
- Constantly embody the REACH values and demonstrate relentless enthusiasm for hard work
Build instructional knowledge
- Work with a coach to evaluate and improve mastery of instruction, culture building, and leadership skills
- Enthusiastically participate in structured and informal learning and development opportunities
- Observe high-performing teachers throughout the school
Contribute to the AF and school communities
- Collaborate with colleagues to ensure a rigorous, joyful, and safe environment across the entire school
- Assume responsibility for every single scholar's success by holding all students accountable during transitions, meals, trips, etc.
- Create unit plans, lesson plans, or other instructional materials as needed to ensure student success across the entire network
- Complete research, data analysis and other complex projects as identified by the principal
- Supervise after-school detention or homework club
- Supervise student transition times
Skills and Characteristics
- Unyielding commitment to students, self and school's constant learning and development
- Belief in Achievement First's mission, educational model, REACH and Core Values
- Strong desire to work in education reform
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and highly organized
- Highly motivated and capable of seeing projects through from beginning to end
- Ability to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed
- Flexible, mature, and humble
- Sense of humor, strong work ethic, "roll-up-my-sleeves" attitude
- Results-oriented and willing to do "whatever it takes"
Educational Background and Work Experience
- Bachelor's degree from a competitive college or university
- Can be part-time or full-time
Compensation and Hours
Teachers-in-Residence will receive a stipend of $25,000 and full health benefits.
How to apply
To Learn More and Apply:
Please visit the Achievement First careers site at http://www.achievementfirst.org/careers/. Achievement First is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity. People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language proficiency is a plus. You can learn more about diversity at Achievement First here: http://www.achievementfirst.org/about-us/diversity/.