Idaho Chapter Director
The Idaho Chapter of the Sierra Club is hiring a full-time Chapter Director for their Boise, Idaho office.
For details of this position, please refer to the job description below. In order to help us efficiently process your application please observe the following:
2. In the subject line of your e-mail put: Chapter Director, First name Last name.
3. Please include a cover letter, resume, and a 1-3 page writing sample relating to an environmental topic.
Position open until filled.
Job Title: Chapter Director
Reports To: Chapter Chair
Context: The Chapter Director implements policies and programs adopted by the Chapter Executive Committee. Manages the staff budget and operations of more than one of the following operational areas: conservation and legislative program, fundraising, volunteer development and member services, budgeting and financial management, and media relations.
Scope: Carries out the policies, priorities and objectives of the Executive Committee for the assigned areas of chapter programs and operations. Responsible for managing staff and financial resources for the assigned areas.
1. Assists the Executive Committee, and Chapter Committees to develop the Chapter's short and long term strategic, programmatic and financial goals and objectives.
2. Designs and implements effective legislative programs and initiatives that reflect the chapter's goals and priorities, and lobbies and represents the Chapter to elected officials, when this is an assigned program area.
3. Plans and implements an effective public relations program, develops contacts with the media to establish and maintain positive relations to maximize the chapter's credibility and position of issues, when this is an assigned program area.
4. Designs and develops information systems to monitor the effectiveness of programs, as well as the status of the budget. Responsible for reporting outcomes to the chapter supervisors.
5. Recruits and motivates volunteers and enables their role in the effectiveness of the chapter.
6. Develops and implements campaign strategies for conservation programs and projects in accordance with the chapter policy.
7. Attends and facilitates meetings, task forces, and events. Builds strong relationships with other groups, elected officials, governmental agencies, etc. Represents the Chapter when appropriate.
8. Coordinates efforts with the national headquarters staff and ensures that the chapter strategies are in compliance with national requirements.
9. Manages staff in assigned operational or program areas. Writes and conducts performance appraisals and takes personnel actions as appropriate. Ensures Chapter is in compliance with Sierra Club's employment policies and practices.
10. Reviews staff time report and ensures the reporting of this information on iVanatage is accurate and timely in accordance with Sierra Club policies.
11. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Knowledge & Skills:
-- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field.
-- At least 3 years experience in grassroots organizing, training, and motivating volunteers, coalition building and lobbying.
-- Strong demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
-- Demonstrated public speaking ability.
-- Proficient computer skills.
-- Proficient at using social media, websites, and the internet.
-- Excellent knowledge and background in specific issue areas of the environmental field related to assigned programs and campaigns.
-- Prior experience and knowledge of the legislative process.
-- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
-- Experience with recruiting and supervising interns a plus.
-- Frequent evening and weekend work.
-- Valid driver's license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance.
The Sierra Club offers excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan. This is a full time position. Salary commensurate with skill and experience.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse workforce.