Organization: New York State (NYS) Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
Position Title: Hudson River Habitat Restoration Biologist
Location: Staatsburg, New York
Hours and Compensation: Not listed.
Application Deadline: April 22, 2014
This position will support New York State (NYS) Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) in the review and oversight of all aspects of planning, design, construction, implementation, and monitoring of tidal wetland, shellfish and other habitat enhancement projects.
- Review and comment on feasibility, design, monitoring, and public outreach documents, including, but not limited to: plans, feasibility studies, data products, GIS databases, construction drawings, monitoring protocols, planting schedules, interim reports, and final reports;
- Make field visits to restoration and reference sites and attend project meetings;
- Develop written assessments, field reports, literature reviews, and meeting summaries;
- Maintain liaisons with partners, advisors, and stakeholders;
- Promote use of best practices; and
- Support other habitat restoration, enhancement, and management initiatives.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant environmental science
• 5+ years of experience in aquatic habitat restoration, ecological management, or other relevant environmental field
• Willingness to work occasional irregular hours, including some evenings
• Ability to swim, paddle canoe up to two miles, lift up to 50 pounds, and hike up to three miles over irregular and wet terrain, and willingness to work in adverse field and weather conditions
• Valid driver’s license
• Strong Microsoft Office Suite skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work independently and in teams
• MS in habitat restoration or similar field
• Recent work experience in the Hudson River estuary
• Wetlands assessment, delineation, or restoration experience
• Tidal wetlands, oyster restoration, and/or aquatic habitat restoration experience
• Knowledge of aquatic species habitat requirements
• Experience in boat operation, project management, compliance monitoring, and construction observation
• ArcGIS Proficiency
Project Duration: This position is funded through the Natural Heritage Trust (NHT), a NYS public benefit corporation. Selected candidate will be an employee of the NHT with work supervised by NYS DEC. There is currently a three-year funding commitment; this may be increased for a longer duration or shortened based on program needs and availability of funds.
To Apply: Please email a letter of interest, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com by April 22, 2014. Please insert the words “Restoration Biologist” in the subject line.