The Housing Specialist will contribute to solving homelessness by providing supportive case management and securing permanent housing placement opportunities for chronic street homeless individuals. The Housing Specialist will work closely with clients, members of the S2H team, and partner agencies to prepare clients for permanent housing. The Housing Specialist is responsible for coordinating and expediting the housing placement process. In coordination with the Community Director, Assistant Community Director, Team Leaders, and case management team, the Housing Specialist will identify appropriate and available housing opportunities based on the specific client's needs and help to secure the most suitable option. Must be able to quickly master a range of housing options and assist with housing applications, mock interviews and client advocacy.
- Engage chronically street homeless individuals around housing needs
- Help prepare and review HRA 2010e and other appropriate housing applications
- Liaison with other service providers on behalf of clients
- Communicate with team members through progress notes, staff meetings, and weekly clinical supervision
- Assist with client move-ins
- Coordination and mastery of alternative housing opportunities including scatter site, market rate apartments, nursing home, and mental health housing
- Prepare clients for the housing process; tasks include but are not limited to mock interviews with clients, escorts to housing interviews, communications with housing providers on specific client issues
- Maintain records on interview results and housing placements; make recommendations for process improvement
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Bachelors preferred; Preferrably in social work or related field
- Preference given to those with experience working among the homeless population
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills
- Preference given to those bilingual in Spanish and English
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Outlook, Excel)"
- Preference given to those with experience with HRA 2010e and Access
Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced, dynamic team environment and willingness to shift easily between various responsiblities with diverse populations. Must be able to use public transportation to accompany clients to appointments. Must be able to work outside in extreme weather. Must be willing and able to engage in moderate physical activity to engage with street homeless individuals. Such activities include and are not limited to moderate walking and climbing.
Common Ground is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to apply
Please submit a thoughtful, updated resume and cover letter via our jobs site.