ACE Tech Charter High School serves approximately 500 students from Chicago’s Back of the Yards, Washington Park and Englewood neighborhoods on Chicago’s south side. ACE Tech was founded in 2004 to increase the number of urban, low-income, minority and female youth who enter the architecture, construction, and engineering professions. While many students are interested in these professions, ACE Tech caters to students with a wide variety of interests and aspirations. The student body demographic is 66% Black and 28% Hispanic. 95% of students are low income and 15% are in special education programs. ACE Tech’s mission is to provide for our students the highest levels of instruction and academic achievement combined with exemplary character development that will prepare them for postsecondary and apprenticeship education and sustained lifelong success.
ACE Tech Charter High School is seeking a dedicated educator and school leader to serve as a Special Education teacher. The position requires a candidate deeply committed to teaching students to problem solving while building literacy skills. We are seeking candidates that view teaching as leadership, collaborate well with others, and can manage both details and relationships.We are also seeking an advocate for students with special needs who can ensure compliance to IEPs and LRE settings.
- Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or Master’s Degree (MA/MS) from a four-year college or university in Special Education
- Valid Illinois Teaching Certificate
- At least 2 years of teaching experience in an urban high school setting is preferred
- Experience teaching Math and Science preferred
Desired traits include:
- Exemplary rapport with students and colleagues
- Hard worker that does whatever it takes to achieve desired results
- Enjoys being part of a team
- Passionate about the opportunity to positively affect student outcomes and school culture
- Ensure compliance with all LRE for special education population, including collaborating on scheduling
- Ensure compliance with all testing modifications
- Plan, Evaluate, and Implement IEP meetings
- Design or implement/modify curriculum appropriate for given content and grade level. Create a year-long scope and sequence of the units that will be covered during your class within approximate time frames
- Create detailed unit plans using backwards planning, Understanding by Design, in which the goals of the unit (content and skill standards) and their assessment are the starting point for planning
- Participate in curriculum development and feedback systems in order to ensure long term planning and effective feedback loops.Typically, unit plans are reviewed by the department, discussed and collaborated on multiple weeks in advance of the unit launch.
- Use best practices in the classroom to engage students and drive student achievement
- Create and maintain a fair grading system, updating student grades once a week
- Monitor attendance, grades and behavior of all students and keep parents updated on student struggles and progress
- Participate in required staff meetings
- Attend summer professional development opportunities and curriculum planning workshops.
Application Procedure: Email Assistant Principalcbaader@acetechnical.org with a resume and cover letter.
Selection Procedure: Applicants will be screened initially by phone, then invited to ACE Technical Charter High School to give a 20-30 minute sample lesson followed by an interview. Finalists will then submit to a background check and fingerprinting.
How to apply
Visit our listing at k12jobspot.com:
Or, email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
5410 S State Street, Chicago, IL, 60609, US