An Invitation to Apply for the Position of:
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School
Brooklyn, New York
About Coney Island Prep
Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is launching its high school in the 2013-2014 school year and we are looking for a select team of excellent teachers to lead our founding 9th Grade class. Founding teachers will build on the solid foundation created by our middle school program, while having the unique opportunity to shape the emerging culture of our high school. On the 2011 – 2012 NYC DOE Progress Report, Coney Island Prep ranked in the top 6% of schools citywide, and has earned an A every year that is has been in operation.
What We Offer
A Small School Setting: The high school will open with a founding class of 90 ninth graders and add a grade each year, eventually serving approximately 360 students in grades 9-12.
A Commitment to Excellence: At Coney Island Prep our mission is that 100% of our students will gain admission to, and graduate from the 4-year college of their choice. Our high school students will benefit from a rigorous college prep curriculum, including several Advanced Placement offerings, and a robust college counseling program.
A Well-Rounded Program: Students will have daily opportunities to engage in a range of enrichment and extra-curricular activities.
A Commitment to Serving the Students Who Need Us the Most: In our middle school, 82% of our scholars live in poverty, 23% are classified as students with special needs, and 13% are English Language Learners.
A Diverse Student Body: The diversity of our student body echoes the diversity of our neighborhood. In our middle school, 47% of our scholars are black or African American, 24% are Hispanic or Latino, 17% are white, and 10% are Asian.
An Entreprenurial Culture: Our teachers will have a large hand in shaping our direction, both instructionally and culturally, and our expansion provides frequent opportunities for teachers to step up and take on leadership positions.
A Commitment to Professional Development: We have designed a comprehensive professional development program to ensure that all of our teachers receive the support and guidance they need to effectively support the learning of every student, including frequent observation with timely and relevant feedback
The Social Worker will provide psychotherapy to Coney Island Prep students with Individual Education Programs (IEPs) and to other students identified by Coney Island Prep staff. He or she will also serve as a liaison with teaching and administrative staff to support student goals, and facilitate interaction and communication with families as needed to implement strategies for improving adaptive abilities. The Social Worker will participate in weekly Child Study Team Meetings, and work to educate staff in areas where emotional issues affect educational progress. Finally, the Social Worker will connect families to social services. The Social Worker will be hired by the Executive Director and Principal, and report to the Principal.
Mindsets and Experience
- Passionate and completely dedicated to Coney Island Prep's mission and a steadfast belief that all students deserve preparation for the college of their choice
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) with accompanying NYS certification and licensing for the practice of independent psychotherapy
- At least three years of experience working with children and families preferred
- School-based counseling experience a plus
- Unwavering belief that all students can achieve at the highest academic levels
- Commitment to using data to drive your decision-making
- Professional demeanor, strong work ethic, detail-driven work style with excellent organizational skills
- Self reflective with the ambition and desire to grow as a professional
- An entrepreneurial spirit, who embraces the opportunity for creativity and hard work inherent in a start-up
- A positive high- energy attitude and drive for professional growth
- The ability to problem- solve and maintain a solutions oriented approach
- Willingness to be a team player
- Provide individual and group counseling to students as mandated by their IEPs.
- Provide individual and group counseling to students determined to be at-risk.
- Identify appropriate assessment tools, and evaluate students with respect to their social, psychological, and developmental needs.
- Refer students and their families to appropriate community agencies to arrange support for their social, psychological and developmental challenges.
- Share responsibility for grade level and school wide activities.
- Serves as consultant to school personnel regarding students or situations that are not referred for direct service. Usually required to have knowledge and skill in casework methods acquired through degree program at school of social work and certification by state department of education.
Benefits and Compensation
- Teachers at Coney Island Prep are provided with an extremely generous salary, which begins at 10% above the Department of Education, as well as a performance-based bonus.
- As a regular full time employee of Coney Island Prep School, you will be eligible for benefits that include medical, dental and vision, as well as a generous retirement benefit package.
- Teachers are provided with laptops and access to all the necessary technology and resources needed to succeed in the classroom.
How to apply
Interested applicants should go to https://coneyisland.schoolrecruiter.net/Index.aspx to apply for available jobs. Coney Island Preparatory Public Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, citizenship or disability.