ABOUT KIPP AUSTIN PUBLIC SCHOOLS: KIPP Austin is a network of free, public, open enrollment schools for lowâ€income and historically underserved students in Austin, Texas. There are currently nine schools in the KIPP Austin network: four elementary schools, four middle schools and one high school. By 2016 we will expand our network to include ten schools serving students from Kindergarten through twelfth grade. When fully enrolled, KIPP Austin will serve over 5,000 students ; more than doubling the number of college-ready low-income, minority students in Austin. KIPP Austin Public Schools is part of the national network of charter schools, KIPP, the Knowledge is Power Program (www.kipp.org).
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Social Worker (SW) will work directly with students, teachers and parents to provide individual and group counseling, as well as link families to long term counseling solutions and external support organizations. The SW will meet weekly with the Principal. The SW will provide support to all school stakeholders to help the school achieve its mission to empower underserved students to achieve success in the nation's most competitive high schools and top four-year colleges and universities, and to have the freedom to shape their futures and positively affect their communities. The SW will serve as a leader in the KIPP Austin Collegiate community, supporting and equipping staff members with the skills they need to best support students.
- MSSW (required) from an accredited university; LMSW or LCSW preferred
- Demonstrated clinical social work skills with individuals, groups, and families
- Strong assessment skills, diagnostic skills and knowledge for working with an underserved population
- Highly collaborative, resourceful and flexible
- Sensitive and responsive to the needs of others
- Oral fluency in Spanish (preferred)
- Unwavering commitment to KIPP Austin's mission, students, families, and community
- Strong record of working with and supporting minority and low-income students
- Desire to continuously learn and increase effectiveness as a professional; offer and receive constructive feedback
- Willingness to be flexible and to go above and beyond to meet the needs of KIPP Austin students
- Ability to adapt leadership style/approach to work with a variety of stakeholders; ability to compel and lead stakeholders to take action and accomplish goals to ensure student success
- Provide individual, group, and/or supportive family therapy to address issues
- Conduct psychosocial assessments to determine individual student/client needs
- Create individualized treatment plan of service for each client served based on diagnostic measures
- Provide cognitive-behavioral interventions, including brief solution-focused strategies
- Provide crisis intervention counseling as needed
- Maintain a caseload of clients receiving regular, ongoing clinical services
- Maintain necessary documentation of clinical services
- Provide consultation and support to teachers working with students
- Provide regular contact with parents to monitor and support progress towards therapeutic goals
- Assist students, teachers and parents to develop solutions to family and community factors that influence students' capacity or ability to learn
- Collaborate with external education and social services professionals to develop appropriate agency services for students and families
- Lead professional development for staff members and provide strategies for how to best support students
- Collaborate with external service providers to implement education classes geared for parents and families.
- Participate on school staff teams to develop policies and practices to prevent school violence and support opportunities for team-building and collaboration among students
- Create professional learning goals each year; willing to offer support to and receive constructive feedback from colleagues in order to create a professional working atmosphere that is conducive to change and improvement
- Help shape and develop a school-wide atmosphere that best suits the needs of our students, teachers, and families
Salary is based on years of experience, degree of education, and level expertise. A competitive benefits package is also offered, as well as a performance bonus program.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age,gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
How to apply
Please visit www.kippaustin.org and click on CAREERS.
8509 FM 969, Building 676, Austin, TX, 78724, US