The Health Educator will be a peer with experience working with LGBT populations, trained in SIHLE intervention and able to effectively conduct outreach and service provision to adolescent girls and Women who have Sex with Women (WSW). The position will participate in recruiting for, organizing and facilitating SHILE and will be responsible for related street outreach activities including the distribution of HIV prevention education materials and testing information, escorting, when necessary, individuals to test sites, conducting Hepatitis C and STI testing, mental health and substance abuse screening, record and assist in data collection. Additionally, the Health Educator will be giving referrals for further assessment, treatment and to HIV prevention programs and primary care services and will also be trained on providing the HIV Rapid Test.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS
1. Organize, facilitate and lead the SIHLE group sessions for lesbian and bisexual youth and facilitate curriculum activities and group discussion utilizing strong group facilitation skills. Identify sites and locations to recruit participants and establish working relationships and linkages as needed. Community outreach to reduce the risk of HIV/AIDS by providing HIV/AIDS education and resource information and materials; by engaging potential clients into Iris House programs; and by engaging high-risk populations into treatment plans.
2. Establish and ensure a friendly and safe environment during SIHLE sessions. Participate and ensure integrity of data collection and entry for evaluation purposes and participate in continuous quality improvement of program. Participate in the design and preparation of activities to publicize the SIHLE program within the community.
3. Provide educational and resource information and/or engage potential clients into Iris House programs. Provide referrals and support groups for social and health services related to curriculum topics (e.g., HIV/STI/HCV testing services, sexual and gender integration, domestic violence services, legal services). Provide HIV, STI and HCV testing on-site and off-site, phlebotomist or HIV tester with experience preferred.
4. Presents Iris House programs and services to other community based organizations, such as medical and service providers and HIV care network organizations, to cultivate and maintain linkage agreements for reciprocal services and to generate referrals for Iris House HIV/AIDS services.
5. Participates in special projects and performs other duties as assigned by the Senior Director of Community Health Initiatives.
Education: Associates Degree in Human Services or related field or equivalent educational and work experience. SIHLE, HIV Testing and Phlebotomy certifications preferred.
Experience: Minimum of one (1) year of group facilitation and outreach experience working with the target population.
Other Requirements: Strong group facilitation skills; Knowledge and understanding of HIV prevention, treatment and care. Excellent communication skills; must be proficient in the use of personal computers. Ability to travel extensively in New York City's five (5) boroughs.
How to apply
Qualified Candidates please respond via email with a letter of introduction and resume to: Ofelia Barrios, Sr. Director of Community Health Initiatives, @ Obarrios@irishouse.org.
2348 Adam Clayton Powell Jr. Blvd., New York, NY, 10030, US