HEAD OF SCHOOL
Kunskapsskolan USA (KUSA) is seeking applicants for the Head of School of Innovate Manhattan Charter School (Innovate), a public, non-profit 6-8 middle school authorized by the State University of New York. This position is available immediately, and will include substantial, supported training, mentoring, and coaching both locally and abroad. The Head of School will be an employee of KUSA, but is approved by Innovate's Board of Trustees. Innovate implements the Kunskapsskolan Education ® (KED®) program and is linked to our international network of over forty schools in the UK, Sweden, India, and the United States. In addition to the qualifications described below, the successful candidate will:
- Have the willingness, competency, and commitment to lead and implement the pedagogical vision and mission of the school—the KED® program–and to the meet the goal of exceptional student achievement.
- The experience and commitment to ensure that the students and their needs are always at the heart of Innovate.
- Model the relentless optimism that every child and school staff member is a unique individual with the capacity to reach beyond her or his own expectations.
- Demonstrate proven, exceptional skills for inspiring and communicating with all school stakeholders.
- A higher than average ability to lead by example in both team building and instruction.
- Model bold, curious, and authentic leadershiop–with a sense of humor!
- A strong conviction in the importance of structure and processes, with an attention to detail in implementation and follow-up.
- Drive exceptional student acheivement through consistent data collection and analysis, response to intervention strategies, and the commiment to a ggoal-drive culture.
Innovate educates 180 6th, 7th, and 8th graders in Manhattan's CSD 1 at 38 Delancey Street. At full capacity, Innovate can serve 225 students.Innovate partners with Kunskapsskolan USA (KUSA) to provide KED®'s unique and comprehensive program of personalized education. Our teachers, curriculum, time, facilities and the Learning Portal™ are all resources to meet the students' needs. Key components of Innovate include:
- Teacher-lead coaching sessions each week for each student, monitoring and supporting the student's progress towards reaching his or her academic goals.
- Personalized schedules and access to the curriculum via Step courses (where students enter and study at their ability level) and Theme courses (where students study in an integrated approach with their grade groups).
- Varied learning opportunities throughout the day that can include communications sessions, workshops, lectures, seminars, labs, and base group sessions.
- Open, transparent, and flexible work spaces rather than only classrooms.
- The web-based Learning Portal™ that includes all the curriculum and materials, the educational documentation system (EDS), and 24-hour access.
- Significantly more direct-contact time between teachers and students.
- Significant teaching experience in one or more core subject areas, preferably in middle and/or high school grade levels.
- Significant relevant school leadership experience (as teacher-leader, assistant head, or head of school) in an urban environment.
- Understanding of and experience with successful compliance of local, state, and federal mandates, preferably with charter schools.
- Strong and demonstrable pedagogical and learning community leadership experience.
- Strong and demonstrable experience in performance-based accountability systems as well as the use of data to inform and guide instruction.
- Experience in a start-up school or environment preferred.
- Experience in managing school budgets.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.
- Comfort with emerging and divergent techonologies.
Innovate Manhattan Charter School and KUSA are equal opportunity employers. We actively recruit and hire qualified people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.
How to apply
How to apply
ALL APPLICANTS SHOULD REVIEW THE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION POSTED ON www.innovatemanhattancharterschool.org. For more information on the KED® program: www.kunskapsskolan.com. In the first round, applications will be reviewed until November 15, 2013. Applications must include a resume/CV and cover letter that explains and supports your interest in and suitability for this position, describing in particular why you are a fit for Innovate Manhattan. We regret that we cannot review applications that do not include all materials. Please submit your application in Word or PDF format to Kunskapsskolan USA at email@example.com.
38 Delancey Street, New York, NY, 10002, US